Discounted Hoosiers

Speedsport

Discounted Hoosiers

Post by Speedsport »

I noticed on Hoosier's web site they have some older short FV rears (21.5 x 5.5 x 15) in the R55 compound for sale for only $65 each plus free shipping. They are not the current 55A compound, but still a good tire. Could be a good deal for someone.
Bob Stack

Re: Discounted Hoosiers

Post by Bob Stack »

Speedsport wrote:I noticed on Hoosier's web site they have some older short FV rears (21.5 x 5.5 x 15) in the R55 compound for sale for only $65 each plus free shipping. They are not the current 55A compound, but still a good tire. Could be a good deal for someone.
I don't want to be dumb but I've been to their site a few times and can't find them. Can you give us a link maybe?

Thanks
Fenders? We Don't NEED no stinking FENDERS!
http://WWW.GRAYBEARDRACER.COM
D-13 FV
Doug Carter

Post by Doug Carter »

They were hard to find...

Race Tires --> Discontinued Tires --> Assorted Bias-ply Road Racing Sizes and Compounds --> (21.5 x 5.5-15) R55 $65 each

http://www.hoosiertire.com/discontinuedtires.htm
P-2 Mark

Post by P-2 Mark »

Discounted Hooters? Where do I find them?

Mark
Bob Stack

Post by Bob Stack »

Doug Carter wrote:They were hard to find...

Race Tires --> Discontinued Tires --> Assorted Bias-ply Road Racing Sizes and Compounds --> (21.5 x 5.5-15) R55 $65 each

http://www.hoosiertire.com/discontinuedtires.htm

Thanks Doug - looked right past them a bunch of times!

So these are the tires that when used with a long box will "mimic" a short box - more or less - right?
D-13 FV
Speedsport

Post by Speedsport »

Bob Stack wrote:So these are the tires that when used with a long box will "mimic" a short box - more or less - right?

Yes, kind of. They will still be a little off. Keep in mind these are the R55 compund, not the 55A. The 55A is what everyone has been using for the past 2 years, so any fronts you bought recently would not match. But for general seat time and / or learning a new track, they would be fine.
Doug Carter

Post by Doug Carter »

I was curious, anyone ever try these short rears on all 4 corners? They are technically wide fronts, I'm just wondering what the result was if they have been tried.
Bob Stack

Post by Bob Stack »

Speedsport wrote:
Bob Stack wrote:Keep in mind these are the R55 compund, not the 55A. The 55A is what everyone has been using for the past 2 years, so any fronts you bought recently would not match. But for general seat time and / or learning a new track, they would be fine.
So what is the difference between 55A and R55?
D-13 FV
SOseth

Post by SOseth »

Doug Carter wrote:I was curious, anyone ever try these short rears on all 4 corners? They are technically wide fronts, I'm just wondering what the result was if they have been tried.
Doug

I have run this combination more than a few times. Basically you give up some grip in the back end for more appropiate gearing. You can compensate some for the loss of grip with setup but you will experience increased tire wear in the back end. Some tracks lend themselves to this setup more than others. For instance I really liked the short tires for the 1st couple of trips to Topeka. The added grunt off the corners more than made up for what I lost in the faster corners. ( this didn't hold true for my last trip to Topeka which I will put down to not spending enough time dialing the V in as I was running both the FV and FF.)

SteveO
SOseth

Post by SOseth »

Bob Stack wrote:
Speedsport wrote:
Bob Stack wrote:Keep in mind these are the R55 compund, not the 55A. The 55A is what everyone has been using for the past 2 years, so any fronts you bought recently would not match. But for general seat time and / or learning a new track, they would be fine.
So what is the difference between 55A and R55?

Personally I saw little performace difference between the 55 and the 55A. I do feel the 55A is tougher and a bit more resilent than the 55.

SteveO
Doug Carter

Post by Doug Carter »

Thanks for the insight, Steve. Very informative.
Doug Carter

Post by Doug Carter »

Hehehe, and I go to order a pair, and they are all gone. LOL, figures.
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

Bob Stack wrote:So what is the difference between 55A and R55?
According to the Hoosier engineers, it was mostly just a chemical change with no effect. But they said they did seem to come up to temperature faster.