How to put a value on a box van?

Bob Stack

How to put a value on a box van?

Post by Bob Stack »

Client wants to trade me a 1995 GMC G3500 14' box van (125K miles, average condition, and yes, it's yellow) for professional services. I can't seem to find any values for box vans in Kelly Blue Book or NADA. Any thoughts on where to look for a value?

FYI - I don't really need a box van to pull my little FV and 14' trailer, so if I take the thing I might be looking to turn around and sell it or swap it for a pick-up or a regular van, or maybe a Class C motorhome.

Thanks
Fenders? We Don't NEED no stinking FENDERS!
http://WWW.GRAYBEARDRACER.COM
D-13 FV
brian

Re: How to put a value on a box van?

Post by brian »

Since it's yellow it is likely that it is a retired Penske rental which really means tired. I'd pay no more than a couple of thousand.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
Veefan

Post by Veefan »

I'm in Finance, and in an industry that we do this all day... asset valuations, :P

The value would be what someone is will to pay for it. Kelly Blue Book or NADA are great guides, but that isn't always a great indicator of current market conditions... check out our forum and the prices people are trying to get for some of the VEEs... everyone is asking very low prices and they are still not moving.

A good current indicator of pricing/value is EBAY!
But, only if the item has active bids or the item has been sold.

This one sold on EBAY for 5,900. with lower miles... if in similar condition... 5,000...

Check closed listing...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0376530663

[ external image ]

14'.. perfect fit for a Vee!!!!!
Last edited by Veefan on November 20th, 2009, 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fvkartguy

Post by fvkartguy »

That would be a pretty sweet setup for a Vee... if you can get it in.
Maybe this link will help?
http://www.penskeusedtrucks.com/vehicle ... ox_trucks/
Hopefully you can find one in similar condition and see what Penske sells them for.
HendricksRacing Site:
www.HendricksRacing.net
coyote

Post by coyote »

Hi! To put a price on that truck you would need to know wether it is gas or diesel, and have a look at it. The condition of the box interior and exterior, dents and dings, and have a good look at the undercarriage for rust and cracks. If it is gas I would stay away, horrible mileage and hauling weight really beats-up a gas motor. Then look at penske, ryder (select-trucks), and u-haul for what they are selling their used fleet trucks of similar size and weight ratings for. Even though all three maintain there fleets, these trucks take a beating! If you really aren't interested in it I would tell em to sell it and pay me cash! Trucks like that are hard to sell.
grimes34

Run Away!

Post by grimes34 »

Run Away!
eugene Team2Stool deviant
Bob Stack

Post by Bob Stack »

ok - thanks everone - I should be able to figure something out with these suggestions
D-13 FV
Veefan

Post by Veefan »

Don't be afraid to do the deal if you're smart about it.

PM sent
Hal

Post by Hal »

Be better off to just get paid and put the bucks towards a motorhome and come join us at Vee Ville, turn 4, BFR.

Hal
FV88
Veefan

Post by Veefan »

With all due respect how are you better off taking $2,000 cash for professional services, when some one might be willing to give you an asset worth $3,000 cash?
Bob Stack

Post by Bob Stack »

Hal wrote:Be better off to just get paid and put the bucks towards a motorhome and come join us at Vee Ville, turn 4, BFR.
Hal
FV88
Hal -I'm a bankrutpcy lawyer*! my clients don't have cash - they have stuff! (part of the reason they don't have cash :lol: ) Actually, I've got an idea rolling around where I can turn 1/2 of the truck into a "bunk-house" and the other half for tools and parts. I'd still use the trailer for the car itself since getting the car up into the van would require either a lift or some super long ramps.

Tried to get into Vee Villa last time but it was too crowded - guess I need to arrive earlier!

*FYI - I also do estate planning, probate, traffic, personal injury and small business law. My partner does family law.
D-13 FV
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

Bob,

Since you mentioned it, I'll comment about the idea of turning the truck into a bunkhouse. Years ago, a friend had an aluminum sided cargo truck and in cold weather that thing would just suck the heat out of you. This probably doesn't have the aluminum siding, but probably will not retain heat well. Perhaps this isn't an issue for you but something to take into consideration. Also, just thought about getting in, and out. Stairs? Big steps? As I'm no longer a 'kid', I'm starting to prefer shorter steps......

My wife and I use a Chevy cargo van for hauling and sleeping; at a regional level, it works well for us.

Good luck.

-Jim
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

*FYI - I also do estate planning, probate, traffic, personal injury and small business law.
Gee, I have some questions... How much for email advice? :lol:
Bob Stack

Post by Bob Stack »

SR Racing wrote:
*FYI - I also do estate planning, probate, traffic, personal injury and small business law.
Gee, I have some questions... How much for email advice? :lol:
Hmmm - well - seems to me I need my engine frreshened. :shock: :lol:

I"m not licensed in KY (TN I still am though) so any info I could give you would be pretty generic.

If you're serious about a question - drop me an e-mail - bob@roemer-stackracing.com or rstack@ourfamilylawyers.com
D-13 FV
Bob Stack

Post by Bob Stack »

sabre1 wrote:Bob,

Since you mentioned it, I'll comment about the idea of turning the truck into a bunkhouse. Years ago, a friend had an aluminum sided cargo truck and in cold weather that thing would just suck the heat out of you. This probably doesn't have the aluminum siding, but probably will not retain heat well. Perhaps this isn't an issue for you but something to take into consideration. Also, just thought about getting in, and out. Stairs? Big steps? As I'm no longer a 'kid', I'm starting to prefer shorter steps......

My wife and I use a Chevy cargo van for hauling and sleeping; at a regional level, it works well for us.

Good luck.

-Jim
In a perfect world I'd turn around and flip the thing off for an extanded cab 3/4 ton pick-up and be very happy. My sister has a motorhome I can use for hauling when it's just me (my wife ain't a camping at the track kinda gal) and then use the pick-up when we're closer to home or whn my wife comes and we can stay at a motel. But my sister's RV is a fairly large Class A gas sucker and more than I need when it's just me.

I think at the end of the day the answer to the orginal post is - "it's worth whatever I'm willing to pay for it and he's willing to accept for it - no more and no less"

I suppose I already knew that part too.

Thanks all!

How many more month's until racing season? :lol: :lol:
D-13 FV
remmers

Post by remmers »

too many :lol:
Hal

Post by Hal »

Bob,

Oh, I see. Your clients don't have much money so you maybe take stuff, kinda like the barter system of old that doctors and lawyers used to do. So am I to assume then with economy being what it is, in the future you will be taking in quantities of chickens and such. Well I guess that would not help out much in the actual workings of a FV team but I would certainly look forward to some dandy barbecue's at Vee Ville.

Hal, hungry for some good breasts, Adkins
FV 88
Bob Stack

Post by Bob Stack »

Hal wrote:Bob,

Oh, I see. Your clients don't have much money so you maybe take stuff, kinda like the barter system of old that doctors and lawyers used to do. So am I to assume then with economy being what it is, in the future you will be taking in quantities of chickens and such. Well I guess that would not help out much in the actual workings of a FV team but I would certainly look forward to some dandy barbecue's at Vee Ville.

Hal, hungry for some good breasts, Adkins
FV 88
I had a buddy down in Tennessee who always referred to small claims court in rural areas as "pig 'n chicken Court" becasue that's what he got paid with.

I don't think there'll be any chickens coming my way, but you just never know. Almost picked up a timeshare the other day, but they were able to find a buyer and pay us cash (which we always prefer).
D-13 FV