Google Sketch-UP 3D CAD free software

CSatterley

Google Sketch-UP 3D CAD free software

Post by CSatterley »

I was messing around with possible changes to my car and for winter projects and found a free 3D Cad type software that has been a fun to use, so I figured I would post in case anyone is interested. I've never used CAD for anything before so it is new to me so I don't have much to compare it to, but it is very easy to use. Just thought I would share if anyone is interested.
link to download
http://download.cnet.com/Google-SketchU ... ?tag=mncol

link to tutorials if you want to check it out.

http://sketchup.google.com/intl/en/trai ... o_gsu.html
fvkartguy

Re: Google Sketch-UP 3D CAD free software

Post by fvkartguy »

Looks pretty cool, but I've used solidworks for a long time and I'm sold.
It's not just drawing things up to see how they look.
You build components/parts and mate them all to create an assembly. You can see how well all the parts work together and even do stress analyses. You can also convert the part into drawings with dimensions or change the background so you've got a cool little 3D picture of your parts.
I know there are a bunch of other features for aerodynamics, heat transfer, and wiring that I don't use...
Then again, the Google Sketch-Up is free... I haven't had to pay for solidworks because I've been using a student version. I will need to get my own program eventually, so if anyone knows of a better one let me know!
HendricksRacing Site:
www.HendricksRacing.net
CSatterley

Post by CSatterley »

yeah, the google sketch up will not due any stress testing, but does/can use exact measuments and is completely 3D and was easy to use for a novice like me. I will have to check out solidworks, thanks.
jpetillo

Post by jpetillo »

I can second that SolidWorks is tough to beat. It's not cheap and not necessarily easy to use, but very capable. You probably don't need 90% of what this tool can do. If the google tool is easy to sue, then use it until it doesn't meet your needs. John
cendiv37

Post by cendiv37 »

I think SolidWorks is $3000 to $5000 per seat for commercial (as opposed to student) use.

By comparison, "free" sounds pretty good for those who want to tinker and won't be making a living with the tool. :lol:
Bruce
cendiv37