jpetillo

Re: NARRC Runoff Photos 10/3/09

Post by jpetillo »

Great shots - thanks! John
CitationFV21

Post by CitationFV21 »

John,

Rather see you in a car than taking pictures from outside...

Thanks for the shots.

3 stories -
1. Anthony Parker crashes in Friday morning practice, stays up all night to fix car and races next day -
2. Tony Leone had an oil cooler blow warming car up - could not find a suitable replacement - since never set foot on track gets full refund - if he had made out onto the track...... probably would have lost the engine. The hard call is sometimes the right call.
3. All drivers changed from rains to drys to rains in less than 15 minutes before the race - except Mark Fosberry. He put rains on and stayed on them. If we had to go out right away, he might have looked like a genius, but maybe not - track did have a dry line at the end - would have been very interesting......

ChrisZ
jpetillo

Post by jpetillo »

Chris

Congratulations, by the way - Nice job!

I was dying to be there, too. Thanks for the stories - I love hearing stories! I heard about Anthony's practice crash. I'm glad he got it pieced together. About Tony, I agree it's a double-edged sword. But too bad he didn't get to race. About Fosberry - he is a genius, isn't he?!

John
CitationFV21

Post by CitationFV21 »

Mark can join in if he is around - he did say he was ready to sacrifice the rains and he did. I went with drys initially because everyone else was on them and I figured I would have an advantage with my knowledge of the track. I am sure Mark was second guessing at first but I would like to have seen the look on the grid workers faces when the entire grid took off to change tires!

ChrisZ
Fos

Post by Fos »

Hi Guys!

Veefan-- thank you a ton for posting these photos! I haven't met you yet. I lookforward to it. Who is that masked Veefan?

As to the tires, it was really funny. I thought it would be wet, but probably not very wet. Having said that the oldstyle hoosier rains ('00?) would probably work better than the slicks I have. That's what made the decision easy for me.

I did tease the false grid about 5min into the 10min delay if they'd wait for me to change to slicks.

For the race, I had an absolute BLAST! :)
It was fun swapping spots with Andy. I think we did it 4 times as our tires came and went and came back.

Chris was a rocket. He came up on me a few laps in and was gone in like 2 turns. I was very proud of myself to catch back up with him and Dan at the finish. FYI-- Chris and Dan both have the new F1 style rainlights and they looked really cool going up the hill.

As for me, my rains metamorphisized into slicks (that took a few laps too) and then I came back pretty strong. My ego got the best of me. I caught up to Chris and Dan by west bend right when I got divebombed by a 500. The 500 was 1 car length back going in, and only barely got his front tires to my rear tires at the apex. Anyway, offline was still wet and I spun needing to give the yahoo some room. I brought it home 4th but very happy. My wife, 2yo and 5yo persevered through the cold & rainy weather for me so I owe them! Andy mentioned the same 500 actually did the same thing to him up the hill (dove under him forcing his way by). I didn't get around to a formal protest being lunch time and wet/cold family but I made sure the stewards were aware. Neither Andy nor I know which 500 it was. Chris, were you passed by a 500 in the closing lap? Know which one? That's our guy...

I might suggest that no vee give up the line to this guy ever again. He'll be forced to figure out how to make an appropriately timed pass then.
remmers

Post by remmers »

In retrospect, I nearly stayed on grid when they told us we could change our tires. That may have been the right call... Anyways, Congratulations Dan on the win and Andy on the NARRC championship and thank you to the Cubscouts who helped my poor mom get tires on the car while I did the shock setup.

Was the 500 red and black or yellow? The yellow one was decent about picking where to get you, but the red and black one was playing catchup and would occasionally not let up because he didn't want to lose touch. (that was the battle for 1st place overall)

My race was relatively boring except for my own silliness. I knew all I had to do to keep second in NARRC was to just finish the race, so I didn't really push too hard. Had two off course excursions at Big bend, once for forgetting to brake until I was one marker too far in, and second time i was fishing for a little water (as i was ruining my dad's good rain tires) and just walked a little too far up the track. Had another wee-ha moment fishing for that puddle in the uphill, nearly crested the hill off track and decided to not drive through that puddle anymore. I was actually very happy with my lap times as my fast lap was only about a second off the top 3's fast lap times.

I also found out why the car was so lose all weekend, as well as at NHMS. After all that work we did to get the car back together for the second race, we forgot to air up the front shocks, I was running in the dry with only 75psi nitrogen up front... All of a sudden it all made sense... and now I'm wondering if i shouldn't air down the rear shocks for the dry too...
GT6

Post by GT6 »

Hey guys, Parker writing in.

Thanks again for the photos!

I agree with Mark. I was livid after I was almost driven off the road by a F500 for the third time in the esses. I gave this guy the inside line on the little right hander leading to no-name and he hadn't gotten his back axle past my from axle before he darted across me to the outside. Had to brake and turn left to avoid being hit and pushed off track left. That seriously happened 3 times. I didn't say anything to the stewards because I was falling asleep :oops: and was told that Fos was filing a protest.

More fun in six or seven months!
Anthony Parker
NER, NED, SCCA
remmers

Post by remmers »

Absolutely! And with any luck, the R&D I want to push through will be on the Protoform for next season. (Since there's no chance in hell I'll be able to get my hands on an alternative chassis to play with...)
Veefan

Post by Veefan »

Hey... I'll say sorry first, in case I offend anyone, one 500 found a nice parking place...

[ external image ]
remmers

Post by remmers »

Lake Limerock. Well, minus the shark and life preserver. They took those out when they repaved...