runoffs live coverage from speedcast

JimR

runoffs live coverage from speedcast

Post by JimR »

Just tripped across this at another site
speedcast seems to have it.
http://www.speedcasttv.com

Use the Road tab page and the runoff's broadcast option will appear
Outside of a paddock shot (I think they are on lunch) I haven't seen any racing yet, but it is nice to know there may be an option
Jim Regan
Last edited by JimR on September 25th, 2009, 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MCRacer

Re: runoffs live coverage live from speedcast

Post by MCRacer »

Watched the CSR race and it worked great. Good side is its live and you get the whole race (and EFR as a commentator) - bad side is not much coverage of the back of the pack but that might change if the race up front is not as good as the CSR race was. I do miss the coverage of the personal side though. Also no full-field crawl so best bet is to run the live timing along with it. I'm guessing all races will be available for replay.

Mike
JimR

Re: runoffs live coverage from speedcast

Post by JimR »

FV is slated for 1:30pm Sunday. Thus far the races I've seen have been well covered.
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

Doesn't work on a Mac.
69 Beach Solo Vee, #65 FM

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee
DanGrace

Post by DanGrace »

Jim,
Thats Saturday 1:30 Central
Doug Carter

Post by Doug Carter »

Lynn wrote:Doesn't work on a Mac.
Unfortunately this is correct, on every browser I can think of. I'm working on some work-arounds to try to get it to function properly, but so far... nothing. :( Really poor planning, considering they have instructions on the website on how to use on a Mac. Guess their Mac testing wasn't very extensive. :roll:
remmers

Post by remmers »

can't you just get windows media player 11 and use firefox? i would imagine that would resolve the issues.
Doug Carter

Post by Doug Carter »

No, it has nothing to do with Windows Media 9 (the latest version for Mac OSX)—it's calling for a specific plug-in and then not recognizing it. It's not a Firefox issue, either. It doesn't work in ANY Mac browser or ANY media player of any kind. The only way to make it work on a Mac so far is to dual boot in Windows and run it there—which really sucks. It was obviously not tested very well (or at all) on the Mac OS, because no one can get it to work at all, or any version of any browser.
remmers

Post by remmers »

ah. makes sense i guess. i needed to upgrade from media 10 to media 11 to make it work. so if mac is still on media 9, then i guess you wouldn't have it...
CitationFV21

Post by CitationFV21 »

Let's see if I can change a tranny by 2:30.........

Go Rick and Roger - and all NE drivers.

Safe race for all competitors.

ChrisZ
remmers

Post by remmers »

that's what i did last night. got done by 230 too... well, hit the sack at 2am. have stuff to do to the open trailer yet...
Doug Carter

Post by Doug Carter »

remmers wrote:ah. makes sense i guess. i needed to upgrade from media 10 to media 11 to make it work. so if mac is still on media 9, then i guess you wouldn't have it...

9, 10 or 11... they aren't equivalent versions from one platform to the other. What you have in wm11, I have in wm9—same program. This is just a case of very poorly tested software running relatively proprietary Windows software. :x
Mad Dog Racing

Post by Mad Dog Racing »

The Friday coverage was OK for CSR and FA, but Saturday am was a mess. Got to see the FM race as a series of stills with the audio running two minutes behind and dropping in and out. Then SM was unavailable at all. The SRF race was OK until the last two laps, then it dropped off completely and I lost the only pass for the lead. Was afraid that I would miss the vee race, but when I came back after lunch, they said they had been having satallite problems and it was fixed. The vee race and the FC race were OK, same with the FE race this am.

"Live" means no replays, but you do get to see the whole track, not just a short space if you are there in person. Downside, you only get to see the leaders or an interesting group racing if the leader is unchallenged, but that was not a problem with the vees. Looked like the pack had fun, fourteen cars spending half the race three wide, including a four-wheels-off pass for position. Congrats to Charlie Hearn, the guy I only see at the start and when he laps me.

Mad Dog
remmers

Post by remmers »

yes, it was very good coverage, it would certainly have been nice to have had replays available in some cases as alot of the times you could have been showing highlights or the like during the FC's long black flag period. I was busy working on the car and missed the incident, so it would have been nice to see what happened.
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

remmers wrote:ah. makes sense i guess. i needed to upgrade from media 10 to media 11 to make it work. so if mac is still on media 9, then i guess you wouldn't have it...
Microsoft stopped supporting Mac's in 2003. When they did, the version numbers didn't always match the Windows version. Microsoft did make a WM player for Mac's but stopped supporting that, too. The lastest version of WM that can be converted by either WM Player or Flip4Mac is WM9.

I hope when the post the races to the on demand site, they will convert them to either Quicktime or Real Player. Silverlight might work, too.
69 Beach Solo Vee, #65 FM

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee
Doug Carter

Post by Doug Carter »

I managed to find a direct URL too late in the day that streamed directly to QuickTime on the Mac, and it worked perfectly. I did get to watch the spectacular FF race, but missed most of everything else. It's a shame they made it depend on a wonky plug-in to function and then burried the direct stream. From what I saw of it, it was great coverage of the racing (sans replays). I'm sure the post production versions will be a great watch.

Here's to hoping they provide the archived races in common formats for everyone to watch.

Bravo to the SCCA for pushing the boundaries of motorsports broadcasting.

And thanks to Rob Howden for the ApexSpeed.com shout-outs, too. Very cool.
caracal76

Post by caracal76 »

They didn't really get a good shot of the FC wreck when it happened, either. A few cars got together in the kink and shed bits everywhere. I was glad to see live coverage, but wished for replays!
Anthony (actually the Caracal 17-red)

"When you're racing it's...it's life. Anything that happens before or after - it's just waiting."
-Steve McQueen, "LeMans"

"Screw second!"
-Burt Reynolds, "Stroker Ace"
Dave

Post by Dave »

I read Friday's races will be available on demand Starting Oct.4 Saturday's races Oct.9 Didn't catch a date for Sunday's. Hope the include in car.

Dave