transaxle vent

kpkehoe

transaxle vent

Post by kpkehoe »

I am curious as to the conventional wisdom of venting the transaxle. We never seemed to do it when I was racing Vees back in the late '70s but I have noticed some cars that have vents over the years. The transaxle that I got with my car exhibits some seepage around the sideplates (it could simply have been overserviced a bit more than the "racing" level). I will be replacing the seals before putting it back on the track but I was wondering if it is worthwhile to vent the transaxle while I'm at it. I haven't been able to find any discussion of this topic on this or other Vee websites.

TIA

PS: I tried to post this earlier and it may come through as a double post. Sorry
Matt King

Re: transaxle vent

Post by Matt King »

The VW transaxle has a factory vent fitting back by the shifter housing. Are you asking about adding an additional or larger vent?
kpkehoe

Post by kpkehoe »

Thanks. I found it filled with black RTV.
brian

Post by brian »

Do not plug the vent in the tail housing. The tranny needs to breath a bit. Per the GCR, there should be a line from that vent to a catch tank. Do not fill the tranny to the fill hole. Leave the level about one inch below the fill hole. Venting won't stop leaking since most leaks are gravity fed.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.