Steering and backing plate bolts

CitationFV21

Steering and backing plate bolts

Post by CitationFV21 »

Just to show you you can forget as many things than you learn.....

Take a look at the most forward backing plate bolt on the front end. The bolt threads should not stick out of the spindle casting, or else they will hit the dog bone and restrict the turning radius of the car. Maybe not enough when normally running on the track, but maybe in a spin or getting out of trouble.... I switched bolts when putting my car together a while ago - it cost me 1/2 turn of lock on one side!

Also, if they do stick out they get peened over though time and are a pain to get out.

Just one of those things, like being careful about the angled brake show adjusters.......

ChrisZ
1969zeitler

Re: Steering and backing plate bolts

Post by 1969zeitler »

Ok.... I'll bite.... What about the angled brake shoe adjusters? What should I know about them? Thanks
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

I have a VERY understanding Wife.
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

They could have something to do with the positioning of the shoes at the anchor point. The angle keeps the shoe closer to the drum for more even wear. This could lead to extra drag though.

Brian
1969zeitler

Post by 1969zeitler »

My adjusters had angled adjuster screws. Guess i'll have to keep an eye on them. Thanks Brian.
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

I have a VERY understanding Wife.
brian

Post by brian »

The key with both styles aof adjusters is that the shoes be designed to match. Place the shoe on the bench ends down. If both ends are parrallel with the bench, go with a straight adjuster. If one end is angled, relative to the bench, go with the angled adjuster.

The angled adjuster was a later upgrade by VW and should be considered superior. They are less common than the straight style.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
Dave

Post by Dave »

The angled adjusters are available in 2 different slot widths also. Thought I would further confuse the issue for you.

Dave