Rain tire pressure

DTW00

Rain tire pressure

Post by DTW00 »

A quick question...not having run much in the rain what pressure should I run in GY dogbone rains??
Thanks
Dave
Matt King

Re: Rain tire pressure

Post by Matt King »

Speaking of GY "dogbone" rains, can you still get them new? I have a set that came with my car that are at least 11 years old based on the last time the car ran, but possibly even older than that. They are marked Goodyear Blue Streak Sports Car Special. FWIW, I ran 20psi in them at a race earlier this year, and they worked far better than I expected them to! I think they have tubes in them too, because they are still holding that pressure two months later.
billinstuart

Post by billinstuart »

I feel more races are lost on rain tires than won. If it's so wet you truly need rains, is it worth being out there? My trick, which another FV racer used successfully for years, was to pump up your regular tires several pounds (to prevent hydroplaning) and STAY OUT OF THE PUDDLES!
cendiv37

Post by cendiv37 »

I think you can be safe running your "normal" pressures from your dry tire set-up. Some like to run them bit higher to "crown" them a some to reduce hydroplaning.

Even old "dogbones" still work pretty well if it's wet enough for rains.
Bruce
cendiv37
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

I ran 20 psi in my old Goodyear dogbones. I had a set that were from the seventies that I was winning races with into the 21st century. Finished 8th at the Runoffs with them .... they never wore out! Goodyear refused to put a tube in the last tubeless one so I did it by hand.
Great tires!
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
remmers

Post by remmers »

indeed they are. Dean Curtiss took pole at Limerock this weekend in the rain on them. Unfortunately for him, the race was in the dry.
Larry Bradley

Post by Larry Bradley »

My best advise; is, get soft slicks, get a tire grover, grove in a copy of the Goodyear new rain tire, like Corvette uses on the street tires.
Then you are fine till there is deep water and ahead of the pack if the track drys 8)
I've won more than one race with those.

Also at the end of the year you can run them in the dry with no real compromise.
Larry
Now a promise made is a debt unpaid, and the trail has its own stern code.