Electronic Ignition

Johnny_B

Electronic Ignition

Post by Johnny_B »

I'm thinking of switching to electronic ignition but I have noticed there are 2 types. Pertronics 1 and Pertronics 2 with extended dwell. Which one should I be using in my Formula Vee and is it an easy install ?
Thanks,
John B.
sharplikestump

Re: Electronic Ignition

Post by sharplikestump »

I have not seen any noticable difference in those, and have actually found one that I like better (or at least, just as well) for about 1/2 the price. To be clear, I have no problem with using points, but for those that don't like points, it is a viable option. To each his own.
Mike
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

Clearly the Pertronix are better in most everyway over points. Greater open spark voltage, reliabilty, no bounce and less timing variations. All that being said, we have never seen any HP from them. We use them in all our FV and FST's, but it's just a matter of reliabilty and never having to adjsut dwell or timing.

You do not need the dwell extended units. They will also develop a bit more open spark voltage at higher RPM, with no HP results. At 6000 RPM we currently can have as much spark dwell as a V8 at 3000 RPM. So dwell is not an issue unless you plan on seeing 9000 RPM plus. :shock:

We can sell you either type (or points). We use the Pertronix 1847A with good results. We have used the Compufire and have had failures. So we just don't use them anymore.

Yes it is an easy install (15 minutes) and you no longer require a condensor.

Here is a short write-up on them that we did. Near the bottom of the page.

http://sracing.com/Tech/veetech.htm#ign_modules

Jim
Last edited by SR Racing on July 22nd, 2009, 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

In this vein... About the least of the worries you will ever have in a FV is spark requirement. Obviously you want a reliable, timed spark with decent wires etc. We however have a very low compression ratio, plenty of a/f ratio, no special fuel blends, etc. You could almost light your cylinders with a match. :lol:

Over the years there have been exotic plugs, coils, wires and most everything else that got you another "1.5 HP" We have spent more time on the dyno playing with that than most everything else. It makes NO performance difference. A good stock VW point system with 009 works as good as anything you can install. However, for ease of maintenance and probably long term costs a Pertronix is better.

We are always at full advance with a very low CR, no boost, or hard to light fuels etc. Just get decent reliable components and you will have as much HP as a MSD, Crank Triggered, Cap Discharged, "Super High Voltage" system. (It might start easier in in the winter when it's 20 degrees though. :lol: .)