FV Body Questions

rstackjd

FV Body Questions

Post by rstackjd »

Looking at the GCR I have a few questions regarding body construction - mostly trying to learn:

C.9. Body
C. The rear bodywork must have the ability to enclose the original
Volkswagen fan shroud mounted in its stock location (see illustration
in Section C.12).

I thought I read somewhere (and looking at other cars on the track it would appear to be correct) that this rule no longer was in effect? Is that true and if so, where is the amendment to the rule? If it's not true, how are some of the other cars getting away with what appear to be much lower profiles than my car in the rear? If the rule is still ineffect, can anyone tell me where to find the actual dimensions? The picture at C.12 doesn't give the actual height.

Also, looking at the GCR it would appear that body composition (material) is open - is that correct?

Thanks
smsazzy

Re: FV Body Questions

Post by smsazzy »

You can use whatever material you would like that passes the general body requirements of the GCR. Carbon Fiber, Fiberglass, etc.

Yes, the fan shroud does still have to fit under the body. This is enforced, particularly at the runoffs, with a device to make sure the frontal area is compliant with the minimal listed under the FV rules. See page 203 of the 2009 GCR for an outline of the minimum frontal area.
Stephen Saslow
FV 09 NWR
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

The rule is still there. There are no dimensions. The fan shroud is not a perfect 180, but the highest point is 12.125" above the engine (measured at the parting line).

Very hard to judge with the naked eye. Is your body as low as possible? What are the engine slopes of cars being compared?

You have more concrete issues to resolve: How to loss 69 lbs and fined 6 HP!

Brian
rstackjd

Post by rstackjd »

hardingfv32-1 wrote:Is your body as low as possible?
I doubt it - that's part of what I'm trying to figure out
What are the engine slopes of cars being compared?
No idea, but I know mine has no or virtually no slope.
You have more concrete issues to resolve: How to loss 69 lbs and fined 6 HP! Brian
Without a doubt - again, mostly trying to learn but also making the list of winter pojects - body is low on the list, but . . .