D13 Kit on Ebay (unsolicited history)

JimR

D13 Kit on Ebay (unsolicited history)

Post by JimR »

Item number: 350219682686
Here is some background information on this car if anyone is interested.
If I am correct (with me being 99.9999% sure) this D13 was originally built by a friend of mine as a new kit in 1979 and was I think the last D13 built by Norm Marx's group out of Marblehead MA. At that time it was extremely competitive car (lots of wins) with the best of everything. The original owner is a pilot and he was meticulous about everything on the car. The frame was painted in Imron and the bodywork is the original bodywork right down to the visibility cutouts whose design was borrowed from a D13 that was campaigned by Autowerks. I know all of this because I owned this car as the 2nd owner for a short time and put it back on track to keep it in the FV community after it sat dormant for a couple of years. I sold it soon thereafter and had lost track of it until now. It appears to have the original guages, steering wheel and even rear thin metal bodywork extensions as the car originally had side cooling ducts but was converted to through the nose cooling. To my surprise much of this car right down the throttle housing cable that we sourced from a Mack truck dealer stop cable and replaced the hard wire with a standard bus cable remain. Of course the frame and body are well used compared to its best days. Things to note from my observations: The car appears to have been converted to a mono shock and I would ask if the original D13 uprights, shocks and rebounds are still available. It will also be important to have the cooling tins that mated to the frame for the cooling. These were flat bottom pieces with cut outs and side pieces and fastened onto the cylinders using long hose clamps. Beyond that the car still appears straight and might make a good project for someone if you had the completion parts. I hope this unsolicited input helps any interested buyer.
Jim Regan