Spring Pack question

Edward Schubert

Spring Pack question

Post by Edward Schubert »

My first mstake was disassembling the spring pack! Now for the issue......when I installed the spring pack the blades are at a 45 degree angle and the turkey legs are not even close to level. The spacers/guides up inside the beam appear to have a square hole at a 45 degree angle.
What am I doing wrong? Is it possibe for the spacers to have been rotated?

Thanksl
Ed Schubert
Zink/Citation 18B
edschubert@live.com
757-692-1181
Dietmar
Site Admin

Re: Spring Pack question

Post by Dietmar »

Ed:

Check your messages.
Dietmar
Edward Schubert

Problem solved....Thanks Dietmar.
Ed Schubert
Zink/Citation 18B
edschubert@live.com
757-692-1181
Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

Ed:

You are welcome.

Anytime.

Dietmar
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

No one learns anything if you do not disclose the mistake. And I don't mean about you.

Brian
Edward Schubert

The spacer inside the beam is supposed to be at an angle, thus the spring pack will not be flat when first installed. This didn't seem correct to me. First I installed the spring pack with the grubb screw notch facing down and then installed the turkey legs......this left the turkey legs pointing up at almost 45 degrees (it would have been the lowest Vee known to mankind!).

After talking to Dietmar I learned that I needed to pull out the spring pack and rotate it so the grubb screw notch could be seen in the grubb screw hole, duh! I then installed the turkey legs (they now pointed down at almost 45 degrees) I was concerned again. However after completing the front assembly and mounting wheels and setting the car down the turkey legs leveled off. I guess sometimes there are different ways to put a square peg in a square hole!

For what it is worth all the grief I have heard about feeding the springs in the beam was not an issue. I had zero problem feeding them in one at a time until all where in. Maybe the monster beam like to be feed slowly vs. all at once!
Ed Schubert
Zink/Citation 18B
edschubert@live.com
757-692-1181
subrew

Post by subrew »

Excellent summary.

I went through this same problem two years ago, when I rebuilt my first vw beam. This stuff is easy...after you've done everything at least once!

Chris H.