Some possible rules questions

remmers

Re: Some possible rules questions

Post by remmers »

The answer to that question is they don't if they don't want to. The whole reason for opening up the rules is to allow for a greater supply of parts as well as increasing the diversity of chassis within the class. The thing I like most about Formula Vee is the fact that everyone has a different way of tackling the same problem: going faster. Personally, I would like to see that trend continued with new chassis that can make better use of the opening up of the rules than a current car would be able to. Also would be interesting to see the updates to current cars for when people do decide to "upgrade" even though I would not really call it an upgrade beyond just cosmetically looking more up-to-date. Let's face it, If Skip Barber among other racing schools are scrapping their tried and true dinosaurs of Formula Fords for CF Monocoque cars? To enhance the image that they're with the times. Why shouldn't Formula Vee allow for that same vehicle development while still trying to keep costs to entry-level price range?
rhaynes93

Post by rhaynes93 »

Bill,
You know a lot more about FV and FST than I ever will. I admire you for what you have done with FST and I haven't even met you, although I've read a lot of your posts over the last 7 or 8 years.
I like FST and in a perfect world I would own one and race it.
I think all we are doing is talking here. I'm certainly not ready to join another grass roots effort to change anything related to FV.
If I threw a rock I didn't realize it was a rock.
Bill_Bonow

Post by Bill_Bonow »

Remmers & RHaynes,

No problem here at all. If rocks were involved, they came out of "left field", no worries. In fact its kind of funny (ha ha ha) as the same reasons Remmers listed for "why" the suggested changes is the same as we listed 7 or 8 years ago. Back then it was parts troubles on the horizon, now most FV VW parts come from swap meets, garage sales and the Samba (internet flea markets).

At this point, its all just pillow talk and that is fine. But be careful of this:
Personally, I would like to see that trend continued with new chassis that can make better use of the opening up of the rules than a current car would be able to.
One could read that and think "make better use" to mean a new chassis would quickly become manditory to run up front. My bet is that is not what you really want. When we set up the FST rules, we worked very hard to make sure that converted FV's are just as competitive as any new/purpose built FST. My final thought (and most likely a major reason why we FST is its own class), changing rules in FV will be worse than walking through a live mine field.
Bill Bonow
" I love Formula Vees, they're delicious!"