Any Heavy Equipment Operators out there?

CitationFV21

Any Heavy Equipment Operators out there?

Post by CitationFV21 »

Talking about off topic......

My son is looking to go to a school to become a heavy equipment operator and get his CDL.

Has anyone got any opinions on this and are there any other methods to get this training?

Price is about $17,000 for a 12 week course.

Not bad when you compare it to racing, but a little high compared to the local community college <grin>

ChrisZ
ultimate42

Re: Any Heavy Equipment Operators out there?

Post by ultimate42 »

Ouch! They mest be able to see you coming from the next state! I just went to CDL school myself, and I only paid $2200! Some of the other guys in my orientation class paid as much as $6000, but what you have here is being raked over the coals! Better check around, because paying that much for 4-6 weeks is just insane.

By the way, you do know that he won't get a job driving due to insurance until he's at least 23?
rgr1racing

Post by rgr1racing »

Alot of the larger, over the road trucking companies are self-insured and will hire drivers at a younger age than those buying insurance. Another way to begin is to earn a CDL and work an off road driving job and accumulate a couple years of experience to have in conjunction with turning the required age. Our local community college is offering a CDL and Heavy Equipment operator class (http://www.newriver.edu/) and while I am not familiar with the cost it may be worth a comparison.

Please contact me directly if I can be of further help.

Rick Ruckman (rgr1racing)
Happy Trucking Inc.
2530 Leivasy Road
Nettie WV 26681
800-543-8043
rgr1racing
Nettie WV 26681
fv31

Post by fv31 »

wilson community college in wilson, nc has courses in this. and i can assure you that it's much less that 17k. i had a friend that went through the program, albeit 20 years ago. but 17k sounds like a hose job.

bill
fv31
VORT94

Post by VORT94 »

I estimate for a "Union" construction company. The way to become an operator with no experience is to join the operators union and they will train you over a 3 year period with the only cost being the union dues. A big part of the program is on the job training (which is required) so they will help place you in a job while you are training. Part of the operator training and another requirement is getting a CDL.
Bob Neumeister
CitationFV21

Post by CitationFV21 »

Thanks to all who replied - searching out those alternitives but not easy to find on the Internet.

ChrisZ
Ed Womer

Post by Ed Womer »

Chris,

I went thorough a union apprenticeship in the early 70's that took 4 years. The unions will provide the best training espicially on the safety side of the job. Depending on the local union and there program you might not become an experienced operator thorough the apprenticeship but will gain the experience on the job. The school your son is considering will never give him the experience to get a job in 12 weeks but might get his foot in the door. Although I don't work as an operator anymore I am around construction every day as an inspector and here in the DC area many of the equipment operators have basic skills and need many more years on the job to become skilled in the sense that the are truely what I call an operator. Oviously pay for unskilled construction workers is not very good and non uion companies will always exploit this unless they are on scale jobs and are forced to pay a decent wage.

Ed