oil pressure ???

jmattox

oil pressure ???

Post by jmattox »

Daytona. Warm weather. Fast track. 1st session out today. Started with 40 psi of oil pressure @ 1000 rpm. On tri-oval guage read 0 psi. Turning 5500+ rpm. pulled into tech to get weighed (1043 lbs). Oil pressure was "normal" 20+ psi @ idle. Looked at oil temp. read 240 degrees after about 5 laps . Parked car for the day. Checked the sending unit, wire was "sorta" loose, tightened wire. Cranked engine up, 40 psi @ idle-5000 rpm.

Suggestions?

John
fv42
smsazzy

Re: oil pressure ???

Post by smsazzy »

My first impression is that it must have been the wire, as I think you would have blown something up if you truly had 0 pressure for that long.

However, what was your oil level? It is possible up on the banking you exposed the oil pickup and were sucking air insterad of oil. I would fill it up to at least 1/4 inch over the top vw fill line (check while the engine is running) any lower than that on a banked oval and you're asking for trouble.
Stephen Saslow
FV 09 NWR
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

If any damage has if fact been done oil will be leaking out excessively from that bearing. This will lead to very low, <10, pressure at hot idle. Probably the loose wire. Just put it out of your mind and race.

Brian
jmattox

Post by jmattox »

Thanks, that should help with the jitters tonight. The first thing I did was to check the oil level, up to top line and oil looked good. The last oil issue I had led to two laps and a tow truck ride @ Daytona. That was caused by an idiot (me) who swapped oil lines to the remote oil filter. SR helped me with the rebuild and a SRF helped me with wrecking the car.

John
fv42
billinstuart

Post by billinstuart »

You do measure the oil level with the engine running, don't you??
brian

Post by brian »

Not sure how long your laps are but 240 in only 5 laps would concern me.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
jmattox

Post by jmattox »

We check it both ways, running and not. There are marks on the dipstick for both. We were running 2:40's at Daytona. Made it through both qualifying and 13 lap race Sunday (we only did 11, @#$% FM's are fast and we are slow). Temp held at 220F. Two months off now. It is too hot to race.

John
fv42