Transmission trouble

Bill Carroll

Transmission trouble

Post by Bill Carroll »

I have tried every adjustment and cannot get 1st gear. I just ran and have R,2,3,4. 1st feels like it engages when not running, but only grinds while running. Is there anything that can be done without sending the trans out for overhaul?
problemchild

Re: Transmission trouble

Post by problemchild »

Can you engage first gear when the engine is off .... then start it (with the clutch engaged) ..... and have it work in first gear? This may help you determine if it is a linkage issue. I am not sure why you need first gear, but if you can start it in gear, atleast you would be meeting any legality issues, IMO.
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

Bill:

You said it feels like it engages when the engine is off- that to me means that you can get it into gear and when you rock the car forward, the pulley turns. YES????

If that is the case and you can not get it into 1st with the engine running, then the 1st gear syncro is either broken or missing completely.

That would be my guess. Fix? Put the car in gear, then start it with your foot on the clutch. You should not need 1st after that.

Dietmar
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

The most common cause of not being able to get into first gear is the 1st & 2nd shift fork has slipped/shifted towards 2nd gear. Chances are you are feeling the dent in the gear selecting shaft, not the actual gear engagement. This situation will cause excess wear on the shift fork if not corrected. The gear box must come apart and be adjusted.

Brian
Dave

Post by Dave »

Maybe a non synchro box.
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

Did 1st gear work fine before this trouble?

Brian
Bill Carroll

Post by Bill Carroll »

I just bought the car (roller) and an engine so I don't know if it worked before. I will try putting it in 1st and starting the engine and see if I have 1st. Should I pull the tail shaft next to make sure the shift rod is ok? Third, can the rear of the trans be pulled off the car without removing the trans to check/set the fork?
smsazzy

Post by smsazzy »

Worst case scenario, if you cannot get it fixed, take the axle tubes off the tranny and ship it UPS in a cardboard box (with a heavy duty cardboard box) to Brian at BRM Engineering - see ad above. I highly recommend him and his prices are very fair.

UPS shipping is relatively cheap and quick, and the tranny in a cardboard box is just under their weight limit for regular ground shipping.
Stephen Saslow
FV 09 NWR
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

Bill,

Unfortunately, there are no adjustments to be made without dis-assembly of the unit. Often it is a linkage issue. Occasionally, changing or straightening the tail-housing shaft (the hockey stick) if bent or fixing tail-housing shaft bushings will help.

IMO, if you determine that it is a linkage problem, but you can get 3rd and 4th everytime, 2nd and reverse most of the time, then forget about it for the time being, and move on with going racing. After several weekends worth of racing a used FV, you will have lots of other things on your "to do sometime" list. You need to know what you have with car and engine, then prioritize your issues so that you spend time and money accordingly.

Several of us have alluded to it, but for road-racing, nobody uses 1st gear. With the challenges of the linkage, and cost of quality u-joints, most older FVs and many newer ones, have crappy linkages where selecting other than 3rd-4th is an adventure. Stand and listen at the exit of the false grid .... and you will hear lots of grinding as many find Rev instead of 2nd .... or chugging away as some just put it in 3rd instead of even looking for 2nd. I can rarely find 1st with my current car which I have won many races with. I know it is there ..... for me .... it just is not worth bothering with. You really should be able to find 1st or 2nd for pulling-away purposes and it is nice if you can find 2nd for the occasional slow start.

Cheers!

PS .... I see you completed a school and a race. Congratulations!
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

Remove the linkage at the transmission and attempt to put it into gear. This will isolate the problem to either the trans or linkage.

Brian
brian

Post by brian »

Everything everyone has said is correct. You don't really need 1st, but Brian is right if something is askew in the tranny, it might chew some more stuff up. If it won't go into 1st not using the linkage, chances are there are internal issues that will require a tear down. Some folks put in a real sloppy first in search of reducing friction, but in the long run this does not pay off. As Smazzy says we can take care of this and can turn around the tranny in a few days.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
Bill Carroll

Post by Bill Carroll »

It is not a linkage problem, I disconnected it and found each gear except first, with the shifter in second I pushed it into 1st and the engine does not rotate or even engage when rolling the car back and forth. I'll contact the previous owner to see if there is any history, I doubt it but I'll check.
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

That is the ball game, it must come apart eventually. The selection shaft (hockey stick) in the tail housing is not the issue since 3-4 works fine.

How good a mechanic are you?

Brian
Bill Carroll

Post by Bill Carroll »

That depends who you ask! I went to school to repair airplanes. I have built one VW transmission a long time ago, with a lot of supervision and all the correct tools and jig, (that I don't have now). What would you recomend?
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

Check PM messages

Brian