FV major rules changes over the last 46 years?

ffstorer

FV major rules changes over the last 46 years?

Post by ffstorer »

It seems to me that there have been relatively few rules changes over the years. To me the most significant change was the colling fan. I would like to know what you think were the significant rules changes.

Fred
Fred Storer
Dave Gomberg

Re: FV major rules changes over the last 46 years?

Post by Dave Gomberg »

To help answer the question, here are the FV rules from the 1967 GCR.

4. Formula VEE
4.1 Definition

A formula for single-seat, open-wheel racing cars based on standard Volkswagen 1200 series type I, U.S. model sedan components, and restrictive in specifications so as to emphasize driver ability rather than design and preparation of the car.

No components, of the engine, power train, front suspension or brakes may be altered, modified, or changed, nor be of other than VW manufacture, unless specifically authorized.

4.2 Weight and Dimensions

* Minimum weight, without fuel or driver -- 825 lb
* Wheelbase, Minimum -- 81.5"
* Wheelbase, Maximum -- 83.5"
* Track, Front--Standard VW--51.4"
* Track, Rear--50.7"
* Overall length, Minimum -- 123"
* Overall length, Maximum -- 127"
* Body depth at firewall, Minimum -- 25"
* Body width at firewall, Minimum -- 34"

4.3 Suspension

1. The front suspension and steering shall be standard VW sedan as defined herein. The following modifications are allowed:
1. Removal of one torsion bar.
2. The use of any anti-sway bar(s).
3. Use of any shock absorber which can be mounted on the standard mounts.
4. Relocation of the steering gear box to a central position, and replacement of the tie rods with others of a suitable length.
5. Steering columns may be altered and any steering wheel may be used
6. Use of any desired Pitman arm. Standard steering arms may be altered; however, no modification of the spindle is permitted.
2. The rear suspension shall be of the "Single Trailing Arm" type, with coil springs and telescopic shock absorbers providing the springing medium. Camber control devices may be used.
3. Wheels shall be standard 15" as used on the 1200 cc VW sedan.
4. Any tire size may be fitted.

4.4 Brakes

1. Brake drums, backing plates and wheel cylinders shall be standard VW sedan, as defined herein.
2. These cars shall be equipped with a dual braking system operated by a single control. In case of a leak or failure at any point in the system, effective braking power shall be maintained on at least two wheels. Any master cylinder(s) may be used.

3. A separate hand brake (emergency brake) is not required.

4.5 Engine

The engine shall be a standard VW powerplant, as normally fitted to VW sedans as defined herein.

Allowed:

1. Removal of the carburetor air cleaner and choke mechanism.
2. Replacement of standard exhaust system with any exhaust terminating 1" to 3" behind the rear most part of the body.
3. Lightening of the flywheel to a minimum of twelve pounds.
4. Balancing of all moving parts of the engine, provided such balancing does not remove more material than is necessary to achieve the balance.
5. Polishing of the intake and exhaust ports, provided such polishing does not enlarge the exhaust port beyond 33mm inside diameter, and the intake port beyond 29mm inside diameter.
6. Matching of manifold flanges is permitted.
7. Removal of any cooling duct component.
8. Fitting of any standard VW carburetor originally supplied on above specified engines, and the use of any jets or VW venturi which may be fitted without alteration to the carburetor body.
9. Fitting of any standard VW distributor.
10. Removal of the intake manifold heat riser tube.
11. Nothing must be done to interfere with the normal battery charging function of the generator
12. The installation of baffles housed completely within the original oil sump and crankcase.
13. The use of an oil temperature indicating device in the crankcase.
14. The use of any standard VW oil pump.
15. The use of valve spring shims provided the fitted length of the spring is not less than the standard dimension.
16. The following standard dimensions and tolerances of engine components are included as information and shall be observed:
* Bore: 3.040"
* Stroke: 2.520" ± 0.005"
* Exhaust Valve Dia.: 1.102" or 1.18"
* Intake Valve Dia.: 1.18" or 1.24"
* Min Capacity of one combustion chamber in head: 43.0 cc
* Min Depth, top of cylinder barrel to top of piston: 0.039"

4.6 Transmission-Rear Axle

The transmission-rear axle assembly shall be standard VW sedan as defined herein. The synchromesh components muxt be in place and operating on at lease three gears.

Allowed:

1. Installation of any standard VW gear set which can be fitted without modification of any components of the transmission or of the gear set itself and the transposing of the ring gear to provide proper axle rotation.
2. Removal of the handbrake linkage.
3. Alteration of the shock absorber mounts.
4. Transmission may not be installed in an inverted position.
5. The use of a limited-slip differential device is prohibited.

4.7 Ballasting

No ballasting is permitted.

4.8 Frame

The frame must be constructed of steel tubing and of such a design as to present no hazard to either the driver or other competitors.

4.9 Body

The body must enclose the engine and may not fair in the wheels or suspension. (The driver's seat must be capable of being entered without the removal or manipulation of any part or panel). Firewall, floor and safety equipment must conform to the General Competition Rules of the SCCA.

Air ducting may be utilized provided it is attached to the body or frame of the car. Ducting may not be made part of or attached in any way to the engine assembly.

4.10 Allowed Replacement Parts

The use of the following non-standard VW replacement parts is allowed. These parts must be normal replacement parts and shall not result in any unauthorized modification of any other component.

Allowed:

1. Fasteners (nuts, bolts, screws, etc)
2. Wiring
3. Gaskets and Seals
4. Brake lines and fuel line
5. Spark plugs
6. Piston rings
7. Wheel bearings
8. Connecting rod bearings and crankshaft main bearings of same type and size as standard VW
9. Fan belt
10. Brake shoes and brake-lining
11. Valve guides
ajax

Post by ajax »

Fred,
In my experience, by the time the SCCA allowed the fans to be removed, long about 1976 -77? most serious vees had already started to duct in out side air to the heads & cyls, then made the fan belt so loose it would easily flip off early in a race and eliminate the fan drag along with the generator drag. Of course this was all legal, as a quick reinstall of the belt put both power robbers back in play for Tech and the driver was telling Tech just how lucky he was the engine didn't burn up!

My vote is for Zero Roll suspension, but then maybe this did not even take a rule change as originals had two shocks? But it sure seemed to revolutionize FV, even through todays cars?
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

There really is not one outstanding rule change. Almost every major change was accomplished while flying below the radar way before any rule was changed, usually in small steps. This just shows the great respect afforded the "If not approved, don't do" rule. Thinks are always improved way before the rules are addressed. The rules get changed because competitors get tired of the BS of working around existing rules and just want a rule that makes it simpler and cheaper to accomplish the improvement. Fan belt, rear springs/shocks, carbs, manifolds, valve springs, cam timing, etc, always the same routine.

Brian
ffstorer

Post by ffstorer »

I would like to know more but, my vote is for the removal of the fan and generator as the only "major" rule change. And yes, I agree that it was a no brainer because of the failing belts. One famous competitor told me he had a way to cut the belt as necessary near the end of the race.

The zero roll first appeared on Harvey Tempelton's cars and was followed by the Autodyamics D-13. No rule change was necessary.

Fred
Fred Storer
Martinracing98

Ex Kart and Ex FV racer

Post by Martinracing98 »

Kevin

I am curious about you thoughts. Like myself you spent years racing karts and then came over to open wheel. You FV me FST. I am had some interruptions that has kept me from getting far in to FST, but I hope to back in it by 2010.

What did you like more and less about karting?
What did you like more and less about FV?

What would need to change in each to get you back in each?

Todd
tppj

Post by tppj »

The fan shroud removal was as of the 1977 season. Also allowed for that year was an external oil filter. So there were two immediate advantages: The cooler was no longer trapped inside the shroud, which improved its efficiency immeasurably, and the extra oil capacity helped as well. Prior to this period, the rush to install forced ducting for cooling started at the runoffs around 1972 or '73. The belt was not required in the rules-we ran with a gutted generator, no belt, and various types of ducting. It took awhile for the obvious to come about-just hang the heads out in the airstream (of course, today's very narrow cars are what make that workable). We always wondered whether we were truly gaining anything when comparing the power loss induced by a belt to the aerodynamic atrocity that is duct cooling. Who knows? My wind tunnel was always on the fritz!

Tom
ajax

Post by ajax »

I would agree (after my earlier post that I questioned the fan removal) but now I believe you are correct (big deal, right?) With the fan removed AND with usage of a better oil cooler that could be mounted where ever it was needed to provide good cooling along with adding a proper filter that added at least another quart of oil to the original tiny system. We now had the perfect forum that allowed the engine tuners to find hidden HP that in the past could not be used because engines could not handle the extra heat generated with increased HP !