Last words in passing

kwillmorth79

Last words in passing

Post by kwillmorth79 »

The car, trailer and spares rolled out of the driveway Saturday on its way to its new home in Vermont, and the tow rig is now traded off for a more civil daily ride. I wish to offer a few parting words if you don't mind:

First, I'd like to say thanks to everyone who helped us go racing the Vee. Bob Lybarger of LRE, Mike Baumea, and Jim Walslegger of VeeTach specifically. My biggest regret in all of this is that I have let these folks down by our retirement. I have not begun to pay them back for their help, and am sincerely sorry for that.

Second, our decision to leave the sport was based more on a dissatisfaction with racing as a whole, rather than with Formula Vee specifically. The costs of entry fees, race schedule demands on time, licensing factors,and mixed class dynamics played a major role in decision making. The difficulty of racing a Vee competitively, the complex nuance of car preparation, maintenance demands, tire issues, engine upkeep, and crash damage costs also played a role. In the end, it just came down to the fun extracted vs. the expense and time demands simply became untenable in my own personal situation.

That all said, I will offer brief insight into three areas that caused me personally the most direct pain:

1.) The tire issue is just bad. Between the Goodyear vs. Hoosier differences, timing of tire run-sessions to align with races and/or qualifying, etc.. and the impact all this has on lap times, wore me out. I know this is a factor in almost any class, thus decided that racing itself was the cause, not just FV. Some will argue this as a cost of racing - that's fine, I accept that and choose to avoid that.

2.) The cost for building and upkeep for FV engines is too high. In researching our racing options, we found several other classes with far more powerful packages available for less in initial and maintenance costs, offering greater consistency. Sorry, but these motors are obviously beyond the end of their useful life based on value generated for the investment required. This is not a critique of engine builders or rules, it's a critique of the technology and its relative lack of modern relevance.

3.) The mixed class structure is not much fun when you are running mid pack and trying to step up. Between the disruption of momentum, the interrupted passing setup, getting run into, and being held up by slower upper-class cars that refuse to allow a pass by blocking the corners then speeding away on the straights - not to mention the mess that happens in the pile into turn one of any race. This cost us a fair amount of money and time for repairs, while making the process of learning by racing with actual class competitors very difficult. In all of our races, I can count just a few where we had actual head-to-head racing for a serious portion of a race.

Now, that all said, I will offer that I simply do not have the desire to race at the intensity level required to be truly competitive. I came at the sport for fun, but found that I am too competitive in nature to continue to run at the back, and not interested enough to invest more of myself and the resources necessary to be competitive. This is a fatal combination that saps the enjoyment out of what is essentially a very fun hobby. Add to this the feeling of being way behind the curve that happens when racers half my age have more than three times the experience... kinda makes one feel like prematurely old.

I don't regret a day we spent in this class, and will miss it. Angie and I will also miss the weekend together at the track. But, as we came to the end of last season, between all of the above, business concerns, the economy, and looking ahead to this season, the change had to be made.

Best of luck to everyone. I hope to see some of you around and wish nothing but the best to all. I will continue to be a proponent of FV, and a fan of the class, and will likely be at the Sprints and the Runoffs to see the action from an observers vantage point.

Cheers!

Kevin - no longer FV79
AKA Kartgraphix (276 posts), AKA kevin willmorth (177 posts) - seldom right but very outspoken since 2006! CenDiv Laser Mk 2 #79
Matt King

Re: Last words in passing

Post by Matt King »

If you ever decide to get back into racing, I have a perfect class for you: NASA's Camaro-Mustang Challenge. Each of your major concerns is a non-issue and you can build and race a car in the class for equal or less money than a FV. I know, because I raced CMC for the past five years, but this year I'm switching to FV for a variety of reasons, mainly because I wanted to run an open wheel car and because the Runoffs are coming to Road America. As I researched the options for open wheel classes, I came to the conclusion that FV was the SCCA national class that most closely resembled the model of CMC. Actually if there is a class that almost perfectly mirrors CMC in open wheel, it would be FST: spec tires, cheap, stock, reliable engines, and enough significant limitations in the rules to keep the equipment cost low and relatively equal.
flat tappet

Post by flat tappet »

Matt King wrote:If you ever decide to get back into racing, I have a perfect class for you: NASA's Camaro-Mustang Challenge. Each of your major concerns is a non-issue and you can build and race a car in the class for equal or less money than a FV. I know, because I raced CMC for the past five years, but this year I'm switching to FV for a variety of reasons, mainly because I wanted to run an open wheel car and because the Runoffs are coming to Road America. As I researched the options for open wheel classes, I came to the conclusion that FV was the SCCA national class that most closely resembled the model of CMC. Actually if there is a class that almost perfectly mirrors CMC in open wheel, it would be FST: spec tires, cheap, stock, reliable engines, and enough significant limitations in the rules to keep the equipment cost low and relatively equal.
Kevin...You're a good guy. I look forward to owning and racing your Laser! You are welcome to drive it again anytime you come to New England.

Best Regards,

Bruce
billinstuart

Post by billinstuart »

Yr. obd. srvnt. returned to Moroso last weekend after a few year hiatus, as an observer. Terrible turnout overall. 2 Vees, who had a good race between themselves. I think..you can't see the track at all. apparently the entry fee was pretty steep. Moroso is the usual inhospitable venue, only worse. The vees were thrown in with all the open wheel stuff, including atlantics. Scary I'm sure.

About as much fun as watching paint dry. Too many classes..they got classes I've never heard of. Not the fault of the Vees. Not even many Spec racer Fords. Only one Formula ford. One. Biggest showing was Miatas, and even those were in several classes.

No one has fun anymore. Why?
FV90

Post by FV90 »

Well I know I had a good time last year running Nashville SS and Barber in FV. Both venues had us with FF and FST, with Nashville having a FC - total of 5 FV's at NSS and 8 at Barber. We have just added a Caracal D to this area - so for a small area we don'ts do too bad in the Southeast. We are looking forward to the end of June for NSS and Labor Day weekend for Barber.
Martinracing98

More "Last words in passing" about karting/fv

Post by Martinracing98 »

Kevin

You gave your analysis leaving FV. I am sure you did as you left karting as well. I am interested in your perspective having left both behind as I also left karting for car racing(FST). I am still in FST or will be again hopefully in 2010 after a hiatus for medical reasons. If you do not mind I would like to hear your feedback. It might even help make racing do a better job of keeping those that come to take a look.

What was the promise that fv provided that pulled you from karting?
Did fv fill that promise and miss on something else?
Did it not fill that promise?
Which came closer to what you were looking for in racing and why?
Any other words of wisdom about each?
ajax

Post by ajax »

Kevin, Next time concider Vintage FV! While not perfect it is the most fun I've ever had racing over 30 years, (bikes, karts, circle track, SCCA FV)
Great group of people, no one is running to get to the run offs, or expects to be in F1 next year!
Typical tight FV racing but w/o the rough stuff! No trophys, so guys tend to look out for each other. You go 4 off or spin and you have to do a stop & go! Really hurts chances of catching up to the pack, go off again and you set out the rest of the session.
Lots & lots of track time.
Tires last a season, stay consistant until the cords show! A set is not cheap...but hey?
Engines last 3-4 seasons or more! The fan keeps RPM and oil temps down.
Crash damage seldom happens. Many clubs have rules about cars touching. CVAR says "you touch, one must admit fault and goes home, or both go home for the weekend".
kwillmorth79

Re: More "Last words in passing" about karting/fv

Post by kwillmorth79 »

Martinracing98 wrote: What was the promise that fv provided that pulled you from karting?
I actually got into karts specifically to build driving skills to go car racing. I started very late (42 years old before I actually drove a car on a real race track). I also think of purpose built race cars as the only real race cars (I've been a part of enough tin top racecars, including a Camaro drag car of our own - to know that if it started as a street car, it's always going to be a compromised race car.) So, after 4 years in karts, four driving schools, a bunch of driving events, a couple auto-x, etc... I did what I had planned to do five years prior - moved from the kart to a road race car. I chose FV because of nostalgia and familiarity with the technology (or so I thought.) I really never considered karting an ultimate destination, it's still very much kid oriented, the engines are crap, and the karts themselves are not that interesting overall, more a tool than anything. Yeah, they are fast and fun, but in the end, they are just a training aide. There will be many who disagree with this, as there will be with any opinion in motor sport - I can live with that.
Martinracing98 wrote: Did fv fill that promise and miss on something else?
FV did exactly what it promised. It's very similar to karting, but for grown ups. It's as much fun, the cars are more interesting, and they reward economic driving (momentum conservation), which is the core of great racecar character for me. FV in and of itself is not the real issue with me. All classes have tire issues, engine expenses, demand maintenance and upkeep time, break, blow up, or get hit - there are no perfect classes when racing is involved. Most all SCCA classes now run mixed classes, and are subject to issues this raises.

For those who love to RACE, moving from karts to FV will be rewarding, with so much similarity that it will be very easy to get the comfort level needed to have fun and succeed. Our first season in FV at the regional level, was excellent. We finished second in points, were in the top 3-4 often, got a second place or two... and might have won the regional points chase had we not missed the last race weekend awarding double points due to a shifter problem that took us out. FV definitely filled the promise as a race car, no question or complaint here in general terms, beyond those expressed earlier.
Martinracing98 wrote: Which came closer to what you were looking for in racing and why?
The kart was a path to the car, the car was great, so the two were exactly what I wanted for their purpose. I will always think of FV as special.
Martinracing98 wrote: Any other words of wisdom about each?
Yeah... if you are young and want to race DO IT!!! Do NOT wait until you are 42 to get started. Being a little older definitely makes getting up to speed harder. By the time I got into FV, I was 47. That's tough, especially when those you are racing against have 20+ years under their belts. The nuance in tuning and driving an FV car are very hard to get right on your own, with limited race schedule seat time. I completely underestimated this dynamic.

The real issue is about a desire to RACE, especially if you are competitive in nature. The two are not necessarily tied to one another. I am very competitive, and do love to drive. What I discovered is that I really don't enjoy the racing dynamics enough to overcome the liabilities involved. Mixed class issues really makes enjoying and building the necessary experience harder than it should be. I tried the Nationals in an effort to overcome some of this, but found the performance differential so great I was not getting anywhere. Six of one, half dozen of another.... Compound this with the effort required to maintain a steep learning curve at 51 years old, while feeling competitively inept... the fun went out of the entire effort as fast as the money was going out for updates to the car. In the end I was losing my love of driving altogether.

This led to my rethinking everything. The decision came down to the cost of racing just to have fun driving is not justifiable, coupled with a lack of willingness to step up to investing a great deal more time and cash to become more of a racer. Failing being competitive, or having a chance in my mind of eventually becoming competitive anyway, I found I lost the enjoyment of racing. If I had a crew to provide a car I had confidence in, I might have been able focus more on driving, and make greater progress. Unfortunately, being mechanically capable does nto necessarily mean I can get the car right, so I never knew when it was me driving like an idiot, or when the car was set up wrong... not exactly a formula for success in any class. Obviously, there are not many car owners looking for mid-life novice drivers to pilot their hotrods...

Ultimately, the decision came down to pursuing pure driving pleasure. In this, an occasional HPDE in a capable car on good tires with good brakes, is a low cost, low pain solution. I have friends who have been doing this for years. I've done quite a few of them as well, and now that I'm in the fast run groups, have a load of fun with less competitive stress. About as close as one can get to driving a car tuned by others one can get without a sponsor and transporter. Everything is a compromise, at least this one gives me more garage space and time for other interests.
AKA Kartgraphix (276 posts), AKA kevin willmorth (177 posts) - seldom right but very outspoken since 2006! CenDiv Laser Mk 2 #79
jmattox

Post by jmattox »

I got my novice permit when I was 56 years old. Now, I have my National ticket and could not be happier. Someone has to run last but, at least I get to run. In CFR we had a problem with mixed classes (I had a real problem last February at Sebring). Now, we run fast wings and things and slow wings and things and that suits me quite well. Will I "win?" Every time I get to drive in a race I "win."

John
fv42
flat tappet

Post by flat tappet »

Kevin may have left our ranks but has passed on the torch to this 63 year old who has just purchased his Laser. I can truthfully say that all my dealings with Kevin have been great and he has kindly offered to assist me with information on the car in the future. His departure is our loss in MHP.
FV55inSpokane

Post by FV55inSpokane »

Kevin,
Just wondering if you ever had anyone else critque (drive) your car for you, i.e.: give you set-up advice and engine tuning advice? It's a lot easier for someone else to tell you what's wrong/right with your car sometimes.
Re. the above post, Vintage vee: We've been involved with these cars in a non-driving setting (prep work only) for several years and have seen more comradery and good clean racing than all of my years in regional/ICSCC racing. If I were to get into a formula car again it would be a vintage one.
Wishing you the best,
Lawrence