Dopey Battery Question

rstackjd

Dopey Battery Question

Post by rstackjd »

As I'm working on getting my "new to me" FV ready for the season I was planning to throw the charger on the battery when a little voice in my head yelled "Wait! is that a 12v or 6v battery" For some reason I'm thinking old VW's were 6v battery cars, but I'm not sure if that's true for FV's as well.

I looked at the battery but couldn't see anything to giev me a definate answer.

Can I safely assume that the battery in my FV ('88 Adams) is a 12v?

Of course I could just be completely off the mark. I have those days.

Thanks
Matt King

Re: Dopey Battery Question

Post by Matt King »

If it's like most newer Vees, it's probably running a 6V starter and flywheel with a 12V electrical system.
MDURKEE

Post by MDURKEE »

Not really that dopey a question. The old bugs were 6 volt cars and we still use the 6 volt starters. However we do use a 12 volt battery. That might be why I have cooked a starter or two.

Matthew
rstackjd

Post by rstackjd »

Thanks guys - I feel a little better about the question now anyway!
vreihen

Post by vreihen »

If it has 6 cells, it's most likely 12 volts. If it has 3 cells, it's most likely 6 volts. If it has no fill caps to count the cells, it is probably a gel cell and has the info printed somewhere on the side of it's case.....
rstackjd

Post by rstackjd »

vreihen wrote:If it has 6 cells, it's most likely 12 volts. If it has 3 cells, it's most likely 6 volts. If it has no fill caps to count the cells, it is probably a gel cell and has the info printed somewhere on the side of it's case.....

Thanks - I'll have to take a closer look when I get home then.
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

It's been a long time since I have seen any 6 Volt tachometers or other gauges. So I am pretty sure that you have a 12 V battery (assuming your instruments are working correctly.