Exaust systems

CSatterley

Exaust systems

Post by CSatterley »

Do exhaust systems where out, meaning do you lose power over time because of rust, or any other reason?
FV80
Site Admin

Re: Exaust systems

Post by FV80 »

Most exhaust systems DO wear out - however it'll be obvious (unless you've WRAPPED it with something). However, if you have no external signs (like HOLES) and no leaks around the flanges and no big dents, then - no, not very likely that it would cause a noticable loss of power.

The best exhaust systems are made of stainless and last pretty much until you trash them in an accident. The steel ones deteriorate over a few years and are probably good for 5+ if you take care of them. Possibly more if it has been ceramic (or other) coated. Every time you take them off, you'll have RUST pour out the ends. When you shut down the engine, moisture condenses on the inside (you'll notice WATER pouring out of a lot of street cars on startup) and causes rust. If you wrap them, that process is accelerated by a MAJOR degree. I have seen exhaust systems turn to dust in ONE SEASON when they were wrapped. You can't tell it until you take the wrap off ... and there's nothing left behind.

Steve
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
Bill Carroll

Re: Exaust systems

Post by Bill Carroll »

It all depends on how finite you want to get. Years ago they started chroming the inside of headers to improve flow. A rusty surface is not smooth and creates turbulance. If the basic shape is intact then any loss is minimal, but there will be a small loss as compared to new smooth pipes. We are all hoping for 60HP, most dyno's won't find much of a difference at this level. The crome ones I mentioned above were to find a few HP in larger engines turnng RPM's well above 6000. As mentioned by others, if there arn't any holes, or flaked rust hanging down into the exhaust path then it won't be much of a loss. This is like the current intake discussion I have read, an extra HP for $1600, we could find many other ways to lower our lap times. I am brand new to FV, so I may be off base, but I've been racing since the mid 80's. Look your pipes over and replace them when they have a hole, seperations or damage. And if you wrap them plan on buying new ones every year or two.