Overflow catch can

CSatterley

Overflow catch can

Post by CSatterley »

Just wondering what everone uses as an overflow catch can and where if you have a lynx or caracal. Right now I use an ugly quart container that i bought from Wal-Mart in the rear, near the trans and I need to relocate it. Would like something nicer that is skinny enough to fit behind the firewall. Thanks
jaymzz

Re: Overflow catch can

Post by jaymzz »

Here is what I use, it is an Empi part. More of a breather than anything if this is what you are looking for. It is the top piece bolted to the firewall. I still need to figure out a better prettier way to mount mine though.
[ external image ]
Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

CS:

Try a 1 quart metal acetone, paint thinner, or paint stripper can found at most hardware stores. Rectangular with a flat bottom and easy to attach to the lower roll bar leg or the firewall.

Jay:
Unfortunately, what you have is a breather and will not qualify as a catch tank for FV.

Dietmar
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

jaymzz, that is not a legal catch can. If you go to an event higher than a local SCCA event, you will fail tech.
69 Beach Solo Vee, #65 FM

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee
jaymzz

Post by jaymzz »

Thanks, didn't know that. There sure is a lot of little things that I am learning about why my car is so far from passing tech.
brian

Post by brian »

Many folks have used the frame rails for catch tanks. They'll hold a ton of fluid and a drain plug somewhere will remove accumulated oil from both the tranny and engine. Remember to have a vent on the top of the frame.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
Frank

Post by Frank »

i have a caracal C, and I use an old CRC brake cleaner can. Once you let all the pressure you can pry the top off with a screw driver. Its steel so if you want it to look nice you can sand and paint it what ever color you want.
cendiv37

Post by cendiv37 »

A 32 oz aerosol can?

Since I built my car in 1995, I've been using a "flat", poly, 1 qt. oil container retained by a removable aluminum sheet metal "clamp/bracket" that wraps around it securing it above the frame rail and against the firewall. The breather hose is retained in the stock opening of the container with a pin through both container and hose. The hose extends into the container an inch or 2 and is well enough secured to the chassis that it helps hold the container in place. Holes drilled in the top next to the stock opening allow it to breathe.

I chose the container as a reminder of my "good old days" of racing. It's a Castrol R container. :lol:
Bruce
cendiv37
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

I use a CLEAR 1 qt oil bottle (mine is Quaker State). Having a CLEAR bottle sure makes it easier to decide if I need to empty it or not. The 'flatter' bottles are a LOT easier to mount than round ones :). I fabricated a 'flap' of aluminum sheet that sits on top of my battery (with ample space between the posts) - I secure it to the sheet with zip ties - I can adjust the snugness of the ties such that I can remove the bottle with NO tools, and yet it is virutally impossible for the bottle to get loose on its own. The Al sheet has a tab that slides down behind the battery (mine is mounted vertical [normal] position) and when I tighten the battery clamp, it secures the sheet behind it. A quick turn of a screwdriver is all it takes to remove the sheet with the bottle attached. In my case, the battery sits right behind the firewall on a pan at the bottom of the frame.
Steve
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80