SCCA license fees

flat tappet

SCCA license fees

Post by flat tappet »

Anyone check out the above fees lately? If you are 60 or older, you have to have a physical every year. For those of us retired but not yet on Medicare, we will most likely be paying for the physical in full(haven't reached our deductible). So several hundred bucks out of pocket to start. $75 for the annual license fee. Since the license processing is very slow, if you want to expedite the paper work they charge an ADDITIONAL $125 on top of the $75 fee. $200 for an annual license in a reasonable time frame!!

And they wonder why they are losing membership/drivers
CitationFV21

Re: SCCA license fees

Post by CitationFV21 »

I have to admit that I don’t think the fees are too burdensome at this point.

I am still closer to 50 than 60 (although getting closer every year) and get a physical each year anyway, which is covered under my companies insurance.

The fee for a expedited application is stiff, but since mine is up in January, and we don’t race here in the NE until April, the 2 - 3 week turnaround is no problem. I can see if your membership is up in the middle of the year, or if in the middle of the winter (southern) race season, it could get tight.

Since you have 3 months prior to get your physical, I would think you could time it so it works out. Many regions are now on line with the main office so if something is in the mail, they might be able to verify, if there is a problem. The main thing is not to show up at the track and just say “I mailed it last week”. If the main office confirms it has been processed (get a name) and you have not received it before the weekend, try to contact the registrar before registration and they usually will help you.

BTW - most insurances will only cover a physical once a calendar year - even a few days may result in them refusing to cover the charge - just a word to the wise.

ChrisZ
dd46637

Post by dd46637 »

Another tip;

Copy everything that you send in, if it gets lost then you won't have to go back to the doctor and ask him to please fill out another form and hope he won't charge another office call.

Dave
Matt King

Post by Matt King »

I think you will have a hard time finding any sanctioning body that requires a physical exam for issuing a license that does not require an annual exam over the age of 60. That's a pretty standard requirement for most groups, not just SCCA. It doesn't take months or even weeks for a license to be issued or renewed if you make sure all your paperwork is in order when you send it in to the national office and follow up with a phone call to make sure they got it. If you need it in less than a week or two, you might need to expedite, so plan ahead if your expiration date is during the season.
supersmile

Post by supersmile »

I normally get a physical every other year anyway so I have it timed for before the license renewal. (As of this year, apparently, under 50 year olds only need to submit a medical every three years, but I checked with Topeka and you can submit one anyway if you want, as I will this year).

Anyway, I once got my timing messed up and just went to a walk-in clinic for my medical...cost me $75 and 30 minutes of my day. That was a while ago so it will cost a bit more, but I'd suggest calling one in your area and see what they say. As they probably do these for CDLs, pilots, etc they should have an idea of what you want.
Rob Zatz
Mad Dog Racing

Post by Mad Dog Racing »

While I was still trying to run with the vintage guys regularly, they didn't really like SCCA licenses, especially nationals, we didn't have the "vintage spirit". Guess it was the knuckles dragging and the drool that tipped them off, I was running F/F. So I went ahead and got the doctor to sign two forms at the same visit and got their license to hide my shame. One year, I even had three forms, one for that "other organization" that only does door-slammers. The price for the physical was the same and the other two forms were the old SCCA form with a new header. Another thought. One time, I had an opportunity to take a free EKG screen. Even though it was six months old at the physical, it was fine to let the Dr and SCCA sign off that my heart had been checked recently. Free blood work turns up now and then, go ahead and get it and file it, may save paying for a test later.

I was able to take advantage of the one checkup a year benefit before I retired, now I'm on my own gap insurance, no copay, so I pay for the physical, around $50. Since I'm so tight with a buck I squeek when I walk, I'd consider finding a free senior screen and try to get the doctor to sign the form, but it usually helps to have your regular doctor do it, he can decide some expensive tests are not required. Every time I start over with a new doctor, it costs more the first time, they see all the tests listed and think you need to have them every time.

But the license fee is still only about 1/3 of the check I sent to Topeka each year so I agree, it's not a big cost by itself.
butchdeer

Post by butchdeer »

If you haven't renewed latly SCCA dues went up $5.00 this year. My lisence arived about 3 weeks after Topeka cashed my check. Mine seems to be slowed every year because national staff is oreparing for the convention.(at least thats the excuse I get) Its still snowning here in Illinois so I don't care that much. My new hard card that I sent in for did not arive with my lisence & membership card. If it really speeds up registration them it will be worth the weight.
Butch
FV since1963
jpetillo

Post by jpetillo »

Mine regional license was exactly a 3 week turnaround from when I sent it out. I just got it on Monday.

What's the hard card really going to do to speedup the registration? It apparently saves us one signature. Anything else?