Run-offs camping

nick_fv71

Run-offs camping

Post by nick_fv71 »

Since the run-offs hotel rooms topic was brought up I thought I would ask a similar question--I plan on staying at track during the runoffs and was wondering if anyone had information about the availability of electricity or shower facilities at RA. Also, this is my first runoffs so I'm not entirely sure how parking works since my car trailer is also my camper. I saw last year that campers park away from the car trailers, so this is the main source for my question.

Thanks,
Nick
FV80
Site Admin

Re: Run-offs camping

Post by FV80 »

Nick,
None of us know for sure how it will work at RA this year for the Runoffs. In years past, I'm pretty sure there we ZERO facilities for any one or anything beyond scattered porta potties and, maybe an "official" bathroom or two - As best I recall, there we ZERO shower facilities on site. There are a couple of RV type campgrounds near the track (within 3 miles or so) that you could probably make arrangements with. That said, IIRC, there were maybe SIX RV Electrical hookups (several years ago) - but nothing more ... and not particularly near the paddock area.

When we went for the 40th B'Day, we were out in the middle of a big (irregularly shaped) field, with NOTHING but ourselves - no water, no electric, no bathroom. There was a 'porta-trailer' in there somewhere as I recall, but only 'pump' water for "bathroom hands".

Unless they pull out some stops, I wouldn't count on much. The nice facilities we had at Mid Ohio and Topeka will not be available unless they build something specifically for this (these) events....which is entirely possible, but unknown (at least by me) at this time.

If there's anything more up there, someone please correct me - it's been "a while" since I was there... :P.
Steve
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
Matt King

Post by Matt King »

RA has a couple of showers in the main rest room near the medical building in the middle paddock. I'm not sure if there are any others on the site.
cendiv37

Post by cendiv37 »

There have been a lot of changes at RA over the past 3-4 years. There are now motorhome areas spread around the track and there is a designated camping area inside the Carousel (with showers). The new bathroom complex between the paved and grass paddock areas is quite large and includes showers though I don't know how many.

Check out the info here: http://www.roadamerica.com/information_trackmap.htm

I would rank the participant amenities between those of Mid-Ohio and HPT as they stand today. I don't know whether they will make any permanent improvements before the Runoff's, but I believe/hope they will add more temporary facilities to support the Runoff's demands.
Bruce
cendiv37
37 CREW

Post by 37 CREW »

Hi Bill - We appreciate the heads-up and would love to fill you in on our amenities. Having Kohler Company, the international plumbing manufacturer only minutes to our East and a long time sponsor of Road America, we have gorgeous bathrooms WITH shower facilities on site and have had them for a decade or more. Evidently the person writing the post has not visited of late.

In the main paddock are a number of crowd pleasers (not pit toilets) plus the Kohler Pavilion with beautiful washrooms and shower facilities.

We have 12 concession stands on site as we’re still know as having the best food on any track circuit.

We have another gorgeous concession stand / Shower/ Bathroom facility in our Carousel Campground adjacent to our Briggs & Stratton Motorplex as well.

640 acres of manicured lawn for camping (RV, Tent, Pop-up). Will have on-site concierge service specifically for the run-offs to aid in tourism and on-site needs for competitors whether its finding a restaurant or a race prep shop – we will have complimentary concierge services for the two week period.

As far as electrical – our paddock area is state of the art. Hook-up for RV’s are available too or Kohler as well is a generator producer and has units for rent. Road America is continually upgrading our facility. Every cent we make goes back into the infrastructure of our venue.

We are here to give the competitors and fans a top-notch experience and are proud to be the site of the 2009 SCCA National Championships.

Here’s a tip too – great lodging at great prices at the Sleep Inn in Sheboygan (60 rooms available) plus two houses for rent for long term stays ... Call Jayshree at 414-517-7941 or 920-694-0099 directly and tell you Mary Lou referred you for special rates.

Only 20 minutes from the track. Hope this helps.

Mary Lou Haen / Road America
kwillmorth79

Post by kwillmorth79 »

There are also many camp sites around the facility with a wide range of facilities. However, if you wait past April to get your reservations, you will likely not have any luck. Those who know the area book very early, and since it is somewhat remote of any major metro area, and the runoffs will happen on the cusp of the recreational camping season - things can get very tight indeed.
AKA Kartgraphix (276 posts), AKA kevin willmorth (177 posts) - seldom right but very outspoken since 2006! CenDiv Laser Mk 2 #79