Intro:

coyote

Intro:

Post by coyote »

Hi! My name is Andy, and I've been visiting your site for a couple of months now; before deciding to join! I am totally new to formula vee and competitive racing in general, other than spectating, and think I have found a form of racing that I would like to become involved with. From reading these posts, I get the feeling that you people are more interested in actually racing and having fun, rather than winning. And that is exactly what I have been looking for! To be honest, my "budget" certainly limits my choices in racing, but that would not matter to me anyhow, seeing as I will be paying to race; not being paid to race. I guess to sum it all up; I am looking forward to racing and hope that I can draw upon your knowledge and experience to help me along the way! Have a good day! Andy
nick_fv71

Re: Intro:

Post by nick_fv71 »

Welcome to the vee family! Not sure how far you gotten, but IMO the best way to get ahead is to find someone in your area that drives a vee and make friends. If you share your location, I'm sure there will be folks that would be more than willing to help. Good luck and hope to see you at the track!
Nick
Rickydel

Post by Rickydel »

Yeah, what Nick said.
Welcome aboard.
Nick's pointer about finding someone to help should be everyone's first step in FV.
A veteran can help you make your car reliable or at the very least, determine that it already might be.
Starting and finishing races is much more important than being concerned about how fast the car is at first.
FVs are unique race cars. Even some veteran mechanics from other classes might not understand the nuances of these little buggers.

Let us know where you live, and you'll be pointed in the right direction.

Ricky del
ajax

Post by ajax »

Be sure to get the nice booklet RaceCarSupply or as most of us know them as SR Racing Top most Sponcer of this site. Has all the good info a newbie needs
coyote

Post by coyote »

Hi everyone! I am in Rochester, NY, finally figured out how to put that information on here! Computer skills and typeing are definately not my strong points! I ordered the getting started in FV book from SR Racing hopefully arrive here today or tomarrow. Other than that I have not done anything. I know I need to contact SCCA about information on licensing and schools etc. Totally new to everything.

Andy
wroché29

Post by wroché29 »

Hello Andy, and welcome. You are close to Watkins Glen, which is a good thing.
Look here
http://www.nescca.com/nescca_main/
for information about your area activities / schedules and contacts.
Bill Roché
Citation XTC41
Team FootShoot partner
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

Hi Andy,

Yes your book was shipped the 20th via Priority Mail, so you should have it, (unless Obama sold the USPS.) :lol:

Welcome aboard.

Jim
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

Andy

Why road racing?
What road racing facilities have you been to?
Did you see Formula Vees racing?
Why do you think Vees are for the budget racer?

Brian
coyote

Post by coyote »

wroché29 wrote:Hello Andy, and welcome. You are close to Watkins Glen, which is a good thing.
Look here
http://www.nescca.com/nescca_main/
for information about your area activities / schedules and contacts.

Hi! Thank you for the information!
coyote

Post by coyote »

SR Racing wrote:Hi Andy,

Yes your book was shipped the 20th via Priority Mail, so you should have it, (unless Obama sold the USPS.) :lol:

Welcome aboard.

Jim

Hi Jim!
I received the book yesterday afternoon, thank you. Read it cover to cover last nite, a lot of great information I had not even thought of!

Andy
coyote

Post by coyote »

hardingfv32-1 wrote:Andy

Why road racing?
What road racing facilities have you been to?
Did you see Formula Vees racing?
Why do you think Vees are for the budget racer?

Brian

Hi Brian,
To answer your guestions: I chose road racing simply because I love it. A friends father used to race circle track stock cars and after going to many race's and helping out, it never really excited me. I think I would get to dizzy. I have been to Watkins Glen for the Indy Car race every year, along with all of the other classes of cars ie: koni, indy lites, daytona prototypes as I camp for the entire weekend. I have also been to Lakefront in Cleveland for the former champcar races until they folded last year. I have not seen other than on computer an FV race. Other than one FV racing at a cone course. I liked the idea of an actual race car, not a car modified to race. And as for why I think Vees are for the "budget racer", there is no form of racing that is cheap! What drew me to Vee racing is it seems to me to be a form of racing that is affordable and competitive to the average person. With the rules as they are, a car that is 25 years old seems to have as much of a chance to win as a new build car. That to me seems like racing. It's not as much the car, as how it is driven. And I am not getting involved with racing to "win," rather I win when I race. I have wanted to race for years, but never could (and still can't) afford it. It is a luxury! But, everybody has to do something they enjoy. Life is to short as it is!
Andy
Bill_Bonow

Post by Bill_Bonow »

Andy (Coyote),

If your in Rochester, Robert Guhde (RGU) is also in Rochester and would be a great source for FV info. He has been around FV for a very long time (late 60's) and I think he has a very nationally competitive BRD for sale (not listed yet) as well as a life times worth of FV parts he is looking to clear out. I'll send him a note telling him to read this post. Again, local info/help is a giant plus when getting involved with FV.

Bill
Bill Bonow
" I love Formula Vees, they're delicious!"
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

Andy,
Ray Carmody does FV rentals ar Watkins Glen and other tracks in our area. He is several hours south in Horseheads and is a member on the forum. As of today, I have a starter FV for sale in the Niagara area. It is not a bad area for SCCA racing .... only 1 track real close but a bunch within 5 or 6 hours.
Cheers!
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
rgu

Post by rgu »

Andy

I'm in the phone book and would be glad to speak with you.

Robert
coyote

Post by coyote »

Bill_Bonow wrote:Andy (Coyote),

If your in Rochester, Robert Guhde (RGU) is also in Rochester and would be a great source for FV info. He has been around FV for a very long time (late 60's) and I think he has a very nationally competitive BRD for sale (not listed yet) as well as a life times worth of FV parts he is looking to clear out. I'll send him a note telling him to read this post. Again, local info/help is a giant plus when getting involved with FV.

Bill

Hi Bill,
Thank you for the contact! Have a good day!

Andy
coyote

Post by coyote »

rgu wrote:Andy

I'm in the phone book and would be glad to speak with you.

Robert
Hi Robert,

Thank you in advance! I'll give you a call!

Andy
tppj

Post by tppj »

Welcome Andy! I think you've made a great choice. I have been out of active involvement for 30 years, but still love the class and the sport. Some things have changed over the decades, but the friendly cooperation has not. You can clearly see it is alive and well by reading this thread. It's only one of the things that make F/V so special. Depending upon whether you are ready to jump in immediatly, I would recommend crewing for another competitor if at all possible-you'll learn so much so fast you won't believe it. Best of luck Andy!

Tom