Dec fastrack - roll bar fairings...

FV80
Site Admin

Dec fastrack - roll bar fairings...

Post by FV80 »

In case you missed it - thought I would post this for those affected...

Item 9. Effective 1/1/09: Add the following paragraph to the end of section 9.3.46:
In addition, if the main hoop of formula and sports racing cars is faired in, the fairing shall have access holes to allow the insertion of
a bar or strap, which will allow the car to be lifted by a wrecker.
[emphasis mine]
fyi,

Steve
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
FV90

Re: Dec fastrack - roll bar fairings...

Post by FV90 »

Big ouch on the Caldwell D13 if it has original bodywork.
Hal

Post by Hal »

I have a D-13 and this sucks. They seems to go out of their way to make racing more complex and expensive, no way to attract new people to the sport. I think SCCA can kiss my ass.

Hal Adkins D-13 88
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

I just noted that it has been modified in the Jan Fastrack...

In addition, if the main hoop of formula and sports racing cars is faired in and there is no other means for a wrecker to lift
the car without removal of any bodywork or the fairing
, the fairing shall have access holes to allow the insertion of a bar or
strap to allow the car to be lifted by a wrecker.

Probably doesn't help anyone in our class - I think this was related to someone in DSR who had a 'lifting process' available, but I'm not sure.

I think someone who has one should propose another mod - it is often a simple matter to REMOVE the fairing easily - why wouldn't it be acceptable to do that instead of cutting a hole in it so it could be lifted without it. Something like
...if the main hoop of formula and sports racing cars is faired in by any material that cannot be easily removed by obvious means ...
so either the driver or the tow crew could remove it quickly [without tools -as they never seem to have any]?? (I put a large washer in my seat and sit on it - provides a decent Dzus tool for issues on the track.)
Steve
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
brian

Post by brian »

Many years ago, the DB1 Swift was refused homologation because it could not be lift towed. Hence the litte rececess in the tail section to stow the lift strap. My understanding was the same as Steve's and this is a result of problems removing a Stohr from the track. RA has several sand traps and the powers to be didn't want to hold up the program trying to get a car out of one. I challenged the ruling saying that all the other door slammers don't have to be lift towed so why us? The response was, "they have tow hooks"' I said we do too. It's called an h-beam. No dice. I've had my car lifted by the seat belts many times with no issues but some tow truck drivers refuse to do so. Plus the cg is off for a lift tow. My frame carried installed straps for this very issue form many years but the cg always presented issues. I'm fabbing a pull up lift ring that will slide through a hole in my tail section. So much for membership review. This was asked for by the workers and it was passed almost instantly.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

This is long overdue.

With the cost of tracktime and financial challenges met by organizers and racers alike ..... one extra lap of full-course caution caused because someone's car cannot be lifted quickly ..... is one lap too many.

When a car is stuck in a sand-trap, often the driver is in a safer spot. No instructions should be necassary by the driver. Perhaps the driver is injured and unable to supervise his car pickup. Cutting a small hole in a roll bar fairing is an appropriate solution.
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
Hal

Post by Hal »

I always carry a Dzus tool in my pocket on the track, all that is need to remove the engine cover and expose the roll bar is that, a flat screw driver or a quarter, and it takes 30 seconds or less. I would think any safety crew or wrecker would have one of the above available.

Odd how D-13 have been racing with an enclosed roll bar for 40 years but now have to be altered.

Hal Adkins
D-13 88
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

Greg is right. Being towed or lifted is one of the most common activities that we do as competitors. The areo downside of a good attachment point is almost non-existent. The tow guys like to move fast, any BS that gets in their way is just going to cost you the car owner. You remove things in the pits, not on a hot track. They get paid the same either way.....nothing. And when they get it right let then know.

Brian
Bill_Bonow

Post by Bill_Bonow »

I started doing this on the front bean of last car I built (see photo). The first event we went to, the workers fell in love with the idea. In Australia, these are required front and rear. The next car built will have them front and rear painted bright red. The tech guys and workers just go nuts over it.

[ external image ]

Brian,

I think if you just tell tech/workers to tow off a beam tube, they think, no way, thats suspension. But, if you weld on a tow hook,paint the it bright red and mark it with the official tow sticker, they love it.
Bill Bonow
" I love Formula Vees, they're delicious!"
flat tappet

Post by flat tappet »

Bill_Bonow wrote:I started doing this on the front bean of last car I built (see photo). The first event we went to, the workers fell in love with the idea. In Australia, these are required front and rear. The next car built will have them front and rear painted bright red. The tech guys and workers just go nuts over it.

[ external image ]

Brian,

I think if you just tell tech/workers to tow off a beam tube, they think, no way, thats suspension. But, if you weld on a tow hook,paint the it bright red and mark it with the official tow sticker, they love it.
Bill...Will your hooks work for a tech inspector, in lieu of punching holes in a fairing?
Bill_Bonow

Post by Bill_Bonow »

Good question as the installation was A) voluntary and B) on a car with an exposed roll bar.
Bill Bonow
flat tappet

Post by flat tappet »

Bill_Bonow wrote:Good question as the installation was A) voluntary and B) on a car with an exposed roll bar.
Sounds like my Laser MKII may have a problem. It has a beautiful, aerodynamic fairing on it that I would hate to have to cut into!!
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

BTW .... I modified my D-13 bodywork in 1986. Took me about 10 minutes and I never had to worry about my car getting trashed when on the hook. This allowed me to spend more time trashing it before it went on the hook. :lol:
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
brian

Post by brian »

The new ruling forbids the removal of bodywork or fairing to facilitate lift tow. So carrying tools will not be compliant. Nor will tow hooks be considered enough. Exposed roll bar, lift bars or straps will have to be on the car and available to be compliant. I'm convinced this will be checked by tech this year so don't go to the track without being ready.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
flat tappet

Post by flat tappet »

brian wrote:The new ruling forbids the removal of bodywork or fairing to facilitate lift tow. So carrying tools will not be compliant. Nor will tow hooks be considered enough. Exposed roll bar, lift bars or straps will have to be on the car and available to be compliant. I'm convinced this will be checked by tech this year so don't go to the track without being ready.
Brian...can you define lift bar? and where should the straps supposed to be located.?I'm really getting upset wit the SCCA for making us cut into perfectly good body work after all this time without any consultation with the drivers before making a ruling.
kidkoh

Post by kidkoh »

my d-13 has side bars about where my sholders are in the car, I have had the privlige of being lift towed using the bars with no issue. the tow driver put a y strap around the two bars and one around the beam and he had the car in the air in less than 2 minuets. why would I want to cut the body of my car, the issue is not that big of a problem for most vee's but if I have to change the bodywork of my car I will be pissed.
flat tappet

Post by flat tappet »

kidkoh wrote:my d-13 has side bars about where my sholders are in the car, I have had the privlige of being lift towed using the bars with no issue. the tow driver put a y strap around the two bars and one around the beam and he had the car in the air in less than 2 minuets. why would I want to cut the body of my car, the issue is not that big of a problem for most vee's but if I have to change the bodywork of my car I will be pissed.
I suggest that those of us with issues with the bodywork rules change contact both our regional and nation SCCA reps and bitch loud and clear about this change. I don't have a Caldwell but why are they now requiring that a 1990 Laser that has been racing for 18 years without any towing issues suddenly make bodywork alterations :evil: . To not consult with the people who pay fees to SCCA on a weekly basis is pure b*llsh*t!
flat tappet

Post by flat tappet »

FV80 wrote:I just noted that it has been modified in the Jan Fastrack...

In addition, if the main hoop of formula and sports racing cars is faired in and there is no other means for a wrecker to lift
the car without removal of any bodywork or the fairing
, the fairing shall have access holes to allow the insertion of a bar or
strap to allow the car to be lifted by a wrecker.

Probably doesn't help anyone in our class - I think this was related to someone in DSR who had a 'lifting process' available, but I'm not sure.

I think someone who has one should propose another mod - it is often a simple matter to REMOVE the fairing easily - why wouldn't it be acceptable to do that instead of cutting a hole in it so it could be lifted without it. Something like
...if the main hoop of formula and sports racing cars is faired in by any material that cannot be easily removed by obvious means ...
so either the driver or the tow crew could remove it quickly [without tools -as they never seem to have any]?? (I put a large washer in my seat and sit on it - provides a decent Dzus tool for issues on the track.)
Steve
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

"can you define lift bar? and where should the straps supposed to be located.?I'm really getting upset wit the SCCA for making us cut into perfectly good body work after all this time without any consultation with the drivers before making a ruling."

This is just a modification to a system we use to conduct a race weekend. This is a team effort, with everyone of equal importance, regardless of who has to pay to play.

The tow truck crews are the ones calling the shoots on this subject because they are the ones with the knowledge of the issues involved. Unless you have worked tow you have no idea what they run across when trying to hook up to a car. For the majority of Vees a new hole in the body work is hardly going to be noticed.

Bars or lifting belts need to be clearly visible with the driver out of the cockpit. The system has to be ready for immediate attachment to the hook, no instructions allowed. Use contrasting colors. We are talking about something that pops out to non racing personnel, very simple and fast to use.

If this is too much work for you or makes your car too ugly to race, then stay home.

Brian
flat tappet

Post by flat tappet »

hardingfv32-1 wrote:"can you define lift bar? and where should the straps supposed to be located.?I'm really getting upset wit the SCCA for making us cut into perfectly good body work after all this time without any consultation with the drivers before making a ruling."

This is just a modification to a system we use to conduct a race weekend. This is a team effort, with everyone of equal importance, regardless of who has to pay to play.

The tow truck crews are the ones calling the shoots on this subject because they are the ones with the knowledge of the issues involved. Unless you have worked tow you have no idea what they run across when trying to hook up to a car. For the majority of Vees a new hole in the body work is hardly going to be noticed.

Bars or lifting belts need to be clearly visible with the driver out of the cockpit. The system has to be ready for immediate attachment to the hook, no instructions allowed. Use contrasting colors. We are talking about something that pops out to non racing personnel, very simple and fast to use.

If this is too much work for you or makes your car too ugly to race, then stay home.

Brian
hardingfv32-1 wrote:"can you define lift bar? and where should the straps supposed to be located.?I'm really getting upset wit the SCCA for making us cut into perfectly good body work after all this time without any consultation with the drivers before making a ruling."

Brian
Gee...I was just trying to get some info on how to fix this issue(not a fight),short of damaging our bodywork since the January 2009 Fast Track states that therE are other options other than cutting into the faIring but doesn't state what they are.

Thanks for all your help1
Bill_Bonow

Post by Bill_Bonow »

Mr Flat,

Brian Harding can seem a little aggressive at times with his posts. I personally love the "If this is too much work for you or makes your car too ugly to race, then stay home." type statements. He's stated before that he likes the idea of having less guys at the track. Something about less competition makes for easier wins.

However, there is some truth to his statement. Because SCCA is the only nation-wide game in town, you play by their rules or you go race with a local group (MC, WHRRI, ICSCC, EMRA, ect) or worst case, don't race.

The Swift DB-1 guys all have hole about 4" in diameter (half in the center section, half in the tail) dead over the top of the roll bar. They had to make this mod in '84(?) for the same reason, can't lift them. I'm pretty surprized that the Laser never got busted on that one as the body is much like a DB-1 left in the dryer for too long.

Its now a rule, just cut a hole a go racing. The situation stinks (welcome to SCCA), but what is the alternative? Not racing :shock: :shock: :shock:
Bill Bonow
flat tappet

Post by flat tappet »

Hi Bill. Thanks for your kind comments. Re: Brian...I always thought that the larger the field we had at any Formula Vee race the better the chances for the survival of the species!

In regards to the rollbar/faring towing issue, I agree with all your comments. I was just questioning 9.3.46 of the January 2009 Fast Track whichs added verbage to the previous ruling to say that if other options could not be used to meet towing requirements then the fairing must be cut to facilitate towing the Vee. The problem is that the SCCA didn't specify what those options are.

I have emailed the open whhel driver rp for the Ne Region to ask for guidance before 2009 tech inspection.

Thanks again for your gracious help,

Bruce
brian

Post by brian »

Hi flat tappet, lift bars are horizonal tubes that extend out sideways from the roll bar. Some indy cars, and F1 have them. I thought of welding eyelets on the roll bar and having pull-out bars on both side of the body to attach straps to. I've since decided it was easier to make a pop-up ring on the top of the roll bar that would stick out of the tail section when needed. Unlike most vees, my entire roll bar is within the bodywork. I've been challenged before about the bodywork and I simply asked to be shown in the GCR where it was requried to have lift tow capibilities. Now I don't have that excuse.

Most vees won't balance on a roll bar lift and will require a 3rd tie in at the end of the car anyway so I guess we have to provide access there as well.

If you do not want to tear up a body, web straps on the roll bar braces or somewhere on the frame inside the cockpit will work if you triangulate with the back of the car. I taped the straps to the sides of the car when not in use. I used the web brackets used in seat belts to attach the webbing to the frame. Most webbing and old seat belts are good for over thousands of pounds so our 850# cars shoudn't be an issue.
flat tappet

Post by flat tappet »

GREAT INFO, BRIAN!!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP. MUCH APPRECIATED! HOPE TO CONVERSE WITH YOU AGAIN.

BEST REGARDS FOR A GREAT 2009 FOR YOU,

BRUCE