December Racecar Engineering Magazine and Vees

hardingfv32-1

Re: December Racecar Engineering Magazine and Vees

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

Ed is right, you can do what ever you want to a homologated car long as it is legal under the GCR rules.

The GCR does define a wing as a device that produces down force using pressure differential. So, can we say that a device shaped equally top and bottom, but creating down force, is NOT a wing?

Brian
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

My point was ....
The tech people were not harassing down-force generating bodywork under the assumption it was homologated bodywork. I am not questioning the actual Citation "brewer" side pod but the giant gurneys that were run by some. It was just one of those wacky SCCA ordeals. People with harmless little shrouds were starting their Runoff experience by hacking their cars a part while blatant other stuff was ignored under the premise of "as homologated".

:shock: :lol: :roll:
Last edited by problemchild on January 8th, 2009, 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
Speedsport

Post by Speedsport »

The smoke is pretty cool, but tufts of yarn all over the car would provide lots of information
You mean like this?

[ external image ]

Or this???

[ external image ]
robert

Post by robert »

Yep . . . like that . . . .except with the wind blowing! I'd cough up a cold one for some action shots.

I put yarn on a Silver Crown car once. They are about as aerodynamic as a Vee. :shock: No tunnel, had to photograph it on the track.

Always wanted to turn the headers around, and dump the collectors into the area behind the front wheels to see if it would reduce drag, or better yet reduce lift on the exposed front tires. Front grip was the weak spot on the car I was involved with. Particularly on exit.

robert
Larry Bradley

Post by Larry Bradley »

hardingfv32-1 wrote:Larry

How did you measure the drag?

Brian

Brian,
sorry I just got back to the Forum.

I got into the car, we marked off a wheel length on the floor, got the wind speed up and I released the brake and we timed the time to roll back that much. Repeated 3 times
Then switched body work and repeated.
We rolled back quicker with the narrow nose and no windshield.

Larry
Now a promise made is a debt unpaid, and the trail has its own stern code.