Who else is running Formula Special, and what setup?

RoadRacer

Who else is running Formula Special, and what setup?

Post by RoadRacer »

I hope I don't get flamed too much for asking this, but I am hoping there are others like me and I want to hear what they have done. Let me get to the good stuff first, and then I will explain why.

What I had decided to build was a 2276cc engine (94mm bore x 82mm stroke), dual 48 IDF webers, worked over heads, 10.6:1 compression, a 7.5 pound flywheel, an AJ Speedshift sequential shifter (still getting used to that), AND IT IS A BLAST!!!

Now listen to my reasoning. I originally setup my Reichmark Formula Vee for vintage, and then realized there wasn’t any action going on in my immediate area and very little in the surrounding area. After breaking in the 1200cc and being dominated by novices in STis at a track trial with my local SCCA on a very much horsepower dominated track I decided to have fun. I first thought about Formula First but it was still too early for that, and I figured I could be the only Formula First or the only Formula Special with my local region. I decided FS sounded like fun revenge at the track trials (at the time region only had solo and track trials). After working out the quarks I had over a 4 second lead, and the corvette guys were hating me. It was fun being next to some very nice cars and getting more attention, and also the chance to explain to everybody that stopped by what it was.

Again, don’t hate me. I very much wanted to run in a vintage class full of FV’s, but I hated the thought of being maybe one of maybe three Vee’s running side by side with a group full for formula fords (I wasn't big on the four hour drive over the sierra’s for those races either). My local track is plenty fun with a ton of different configurations.
DanRemmers

Re: Who else is running Formula Special, and what setup?

Post by DanRemmers »

That does sound like fun, but I would be concerned about how the rest of the car holds up to all that power. I hope you've upgraded everything, including safety.

Have you driven solos with that setup? I guess it would run in BMod. My solo vee is a handfull at times, and it only has 85 hp, so I can imagine a 2276 would be a real workout.

Is your next step to put on wings?
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

Your are just making a bad story worse with the extra HP. A shifter kart has a much better fun/cost quotient and is much easier to find a track to use it on.

Brian
RoadRacer

Post by RoadRacer »

Keep in mind this isn't wheel to wheel racing, this is time trials. Passing is only on designated straights and by point. Safety has been on my mind as I am looking at replacing my short box, obviously at this point top speed hasn’t been defined by my horsepower but by my gearing.

I would like to hear some input on the safety points of concern in a FV. The big one I see is crumple zones and the lack of with the front beams.
RacerGeek

Post by RacerGeek »

My concern is you say you have a vintage eligible car. Several years ago at a regional I saw a Zink C4/Z5 get hit by a modern home built car. The Zink was absolutely destroyed. It folded around the driver's legs. Vintage cars are best suited for vintage racing. The chassis was designed for stock 40 hp engines and crappy 1960's tires. The purist in me cringes when I see a car like the 16th Beach Mk 5 built turned from this -

[ external image ]

into this -

[ external image ]

For the money this guy spent he could have bought a mid 90's Formula Continental, but a classic Formula Vee is now gone forever. :cry: Top speed and safety don't really go together with a vintage Formula Vee chassis. JMHO!

Also, if you are on the track with full sized cars they will have a hard time seeing you come up behind them around their fenders.
Bob VanDyke
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

Some of the risk could be from using a very old chassis that is not in 100% condition. Brand new the Zink was not that bad. There is also the problem of how big a accident are we designing for. This is motor racing, and bad stuff happens.

Brian
RoadRacer

Post by RoadRacer »

I know the engine got slightly out of control when the build was originally going to be a 1915cc. It soon snowballed from well the case is already clearenced for a bigger crank, and if I over build it I can run things like a alternator and fan to hopefully extend the life. Figuring it’s just less stress on a bigger engine, and ultimately the hp is controlled by the right foot.

When I got the car I rebuilt it from ground up, taking it down to a bare metal frame and even fixed a couple of welds (I was a certified welder at the time). I agree completely on the vintage aspect, and when I am ready to move on it will be easily restored back to vintage before sold. I currently have two Reichmarks (at least all the pieces to assemble the 2nd), and have only been able to track down one other that was already modified beyond vintage.

The frame is one of the stouter frames I have seen. The lower frame rails are 2x4 running from the beam to the trans mount. I will post a picture when I get home tonight, maybe others will recognize it and could give me some more input on it. I haven’t been able to find much information on them. When I got it it was setup as a drag racer, and had an illegal roll bar “extension” that was mostly removed with a hammer.

Not to say I am the safest person in the world, but I do think the biggest safety device a car has is the driver. I have seen people that could probably make pushing a shopping cart dangerous. I feel safer driving on a track full of competent racers than a road filled with people trying to text on their cell phones.

I would still like to hear safety concerns, and I know other people have run FS.
neilcox

Post by neilcox »

How about front spindles and steering arms? Maybe brakes as well. None of these were ever designed for the breaking and turning forces that 58 HP engines put them through, let alone the monster you have assembled.
fv195

Post by fv195 »

I race with the owner of that beech. I feel that it did the wrong thing. it all started when he seized the 1200, then on to a 1600 solo vee, now it is a 2,300 or something like that. which last I heard was at the builder for more hp. he is running discs and only going up hill. but he did crash it hard enough at a vintage hillclimb that it set off the fire system. all in all he is a really nice guy. and who wouldn't want more HP? but I think there is a limit. there are some strange cars running the Penna. hillclimbs that vee has to run against a custom built turbo Ghia! special 2 is a class I want to stay away from.
but last season the class with the most entrys was FORMULA VEE! alive and well running hills in PA.
Thor
pa hillclimber turned road racer.
still run hills when I can
RoadRacer

Post by RoadRacer »

neilcox wrote:How about front spindles and steering arms? Maybe brakes as well. None of these were ever designed for the breaking and turning forces that 58 HP engines put them through, let alone the monster you have assembled.
They were however designed for a much heavier car. The link pin is also stronger than the ball joint, which makes it more desirable to the offroaders.

Here is a picture of the frame, my other frame has had additional triangulation added but it has a very flimsy body. This car has heavy gauge aluminum side panels riveted and reinforced that should add a lot of rigidity to it.

[ external image ]