Fuel Cell Manufacturers

Martinracing98

Fuel Cell Manufacturers

Post by Martinracing98 »

Who are the fuel cell manufacturers that build fuel cells certified to the levels SCCA requires?
Dave Gomberg

Re: Fuel Cell Manufacturers

Post by Dave Gomberg »

ATL and Fuel Safe in the US. They are now under single ownership which means there is effectively no competition domestically. Overseas sources are probably more trouble (and possibly money) than it would be worth.

Dave
FV55inSpokane

Post by FV55inSpokane »

So are Fuel Safe's cells going to be black now? Guess we'll find out.
Lawrence
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

Maybe it is a universal design for all types of fuel?

Brian
brian

Post by brian »

Based on what I saw a the PRI show the black cells are for methanol. I found it curious that while owned by the same company, each chose to have their own booths. There were other cell companies but they did not have the SFI cert. Apparently it is very expensive to get one. One company tried to convince me that there was no such thing as a SFI cert for cells. If you have to get one replaced send in your old cell and they will reuse the hardware and save you some buck.s. The guys at Fuel Save were shocked to learn that I have had the same cell for 18 years. I told him it was a tribute to using av gas and it's storage stabilty. :P
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
Matt King

Post by Matt King »

SFI certification 28.1 covers fuel cells, but I don't know how much it's used. The only cells I've seen that carry this rating are certain ones from Jaz. But it's moot for SCCA, because here's what the GCR says:
All cars must be equipped with a safety fuel cell complying with these
specifications, except for Showroom Stock, Touring, Spec Miata, and
Improved Touring. All safety fuel cells shall be constructed and certified in
accordance with the FIA FT-3 or higher (FT-3.5, FT-5, etc.) specifications.
All safety fuel cells shall consist of a foam-filled fuel bladder enclosed in
a metal container at minimum.
You can bet if it involves the FIA, it's VERY expensive!