Engine Removal...easy question!

Captain

Engine Removal...easy question!

Post by Captain »

Hi Everyone,

Here is an easy question for everyone. How far apart does the trans need to seperate from the engine to clear the clutch/imput so that it can be removed?

Just trying to plan how I am going to support everything (It is on one of those lifts), and how everything comes apart.

Thanks,
Jim
Last edited by Captain on December 15th, 2008, 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hardingfv32-1

Re: Engine Removal...easy question!

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

3.5"

Brian
Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

Jim:

You might want to share what type of car you have as different cars require different techniques to remove the engine. In some cases on Vintage cars, the pulley needs to be removed first or the entire rear structure needs to be removed.

Also, not sure what: "one of those lifts" refers to. Most situations call for the cars to be on all four wheels, on jack stands, or some even need the support under the frame so that the trans can be tilted.

Dietmar
Captain

Post by Captain »

Thanks!

Looks like I can pull the motor, and leave the trans in place! So Will be able to roll!

I have that homebuilt car from San Fran. that we spoke about a while back.

The lift is a 30" or so mechanical jack, similiar to ones I have seen some people put the winch on.

Don't go anwhere. I'll show......
Captain

Post by Captain »

Lift...

[ external image ]

Clearance, about 5" to the back of the seat there.

[ external image ]

Everything else disconnected!

[ external image ]
Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

Jim:

might I suggest that you take off the manifold and carb, and anything else attached to the engine- oil lines, etc and get them out of the way. Will make it much easier.

Dietmar
Captain

Post by Captain »

Will do!

Thanks
Jim
jmattox

Post by jmattox »

Be sure to label which oil line goes where. I didn't and enjoyed 2 laps and a tow truck ride at Daytona one time.

John
FV42
brian

Post by brian »

It appears that this car requires the rear engine mount to be unbolted from the frame and the entire engine and tranny pulled back to clear the roll bar. The Crusader cars are designed like this. The flywheel will clear the input shaft after a 3 inch separation, so the assembly won't have to be moved very far. It looks like you have the suspension pulled already so you're close. No need to disassemble the engine this way. If you are in SF are, feel free to call me, we're in Sacramento.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
brian

Post by brian »

Almost forgot, when you pull the engine the CG on the stand will change drastically so be prepared for the front of the car to drop. Jack stands or a tall box under the front will save you a disaster.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
Captain

Post by Captain »

Thanks for the offer! Car is from cali, but currently in New Jersey.

Yep, already have a brace under the front of the car.

As long as I have enough slack in the brake lines so that I don't have to bleed the air out again, I'll be happy. I had a big problem with the initial bleed after a new master last season.

Hoping to pull it Saturday. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks
Jim
brian

Post by brian »

Call me and I'll give you some hints on bleeding. Should be a 5 minute job.
Captain

Post by Captain »

Success!

Was able to remove it without removing the trans.

Also came across this (see pic). There is an additional mounting for the trans. It slides the engine/trans to the right side of the car a couple inches. Could this possibly be for a circle track config??

Jim

[ external image ]
Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

Jim:

That is exactly what it was designed for. The car ran the FV Association series here in S. California and some of the races were on circle tracks.

Glad it came out easily enough.
Dietmar
Captain

Post by Captain »

Interesting.

With a setup like that, is a different set of axles used as well? To maintain the current wheelbase?

Thanks,
Jim
Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

Nope! In addition, the front beam was also moved to the side.

Dietmar
Captain

Post by Captain »

Wow, thats really nice.

The closer and closer I look at this car the more I see how the builder payed attention to every detail. His workman ship was top notch.

Thanks for the help. I'll have to try a circle track one day!
Jim
sharplikestump

Post by sharplikestump »

From the pics, it looked like you had plenty of room to slide the engine forward, but for those cars where it is really tight, you can chop 3/8" off the pilot shaft adding a radius, and make removing/installing easier.
For those who are ready to scream "Illegal", I offer this tip only to autocrossers and dunebuggies. 8)