tire grooving

fv195

tire grooving

Post by fv195 »

I am trying to find someone, hopefully in SW FL that can groove some slicks into inter. for me. I have 2 sets of R45 hoosiers that I want to groove. I would do it myself, but I am slightly disabiled, no use of left arm. so I think trying to do it would be very hard.
Thanks for any help or info.
THOR
brian

Re: tire grooving

Post by brian »

Try to find some dirt racers they're always grooving tires.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
FV55inSpokane

Post by FV55inSpokane »

...or try a vintage road race tire distributor, they groove the Vintage Goodyears for wet track conditions.
Lawrence
sweenrace

Post by sweenrace »

We have a groover and once its hot and the blade is the right way around (I learnt this from experience!) its cuts through the rubber like butter. If you had some way of holding the wheel and tire I think it would be relatively easy to do with one hand. Maybe you could borrow a groover and give it a try?

good luck
Ian
billinstuart

Post by billinstuart »

My trick for decades has been to simply pump your slicks up several pounds of pressure..maybe as much as 30 #'s. This keeps them from hydroplaning. Then. stay out of the puddles!!
fv195

Post by fv195 »

thinking I might just buy a groover and try it my self. sound silly but I want to have a set of inters. just incase. have lots of slicks, a good set of rains, need to have middle ground tires. could use the street tires from my VW thing, for the vintage look. 14" wheels though, or I could use the 15" centerlines I have on it. Put slicks on the thing when I want to get the front wheels off the ground! 1835cc with dual webbers! gets the job done, full roll cage, race seat 5 point belts. scca time trials log book. but its just a daily driver for me. get better milage then the suburban tow car. 30 mpg on race gas! it is better than letting it go bad in the can.
thanks for the help.
THOR
fv#70
the Brazos one of a kind!
SOseth

Post by SOseth »

Thor,

If you return to Summit Point next spring, we can groove up a set for you at the track.

SteveO
fv195

Post by fv195 »

I will be back to Summit next year. That is one of the best group of racers, Vee or other class. that I have ever seen. I can't miss that! Even though I am the slowest vee out there, I'm still having fun!
Oh and Steve thanks for the r45s that I want to grove. Tell Eric I said Hi.
THOR
clubford00

Post by clubford00 »

Thor, I would also suggest, that if you are going to do it yourself, have a few older tires to practice on so you can hunt for the depth you want without putting holes in them.
Dean
Real Racecars, DONT have fenders !!!
spdunlap

Post by spdunlap »

Sasco tire located at V.I.R can groove them for you. They provide most of the Vintage tires and offer tire services.