CFV at the ARRC ... if we want

lee

CFV at the ARRC ... if we want

Post by lee »

The preliminary schedule is out for the ARRC at Road Atlanta. It is a 3 day event Fri Nov 7 thru Sun Nov 9. Test day on Thur. Here's a link to the ApexSpeed post with the schedule.
http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29581
In short, 15 and 20 min qualifying on Friday afternoon and then race Sat. afternoon. Enduros and other stuff on Sunday.

All that is needed is a set of rules ... and some people that want to compete. As a starting point for discussion/argument I'll propose the rule suggestions on my SEDIV post.
1. Spec tire of AR 132 compound. Only change would be to use the spec tire for qualifying and race since this is a "championship" race and will most likely be a first weekend on the tires. My research says GY and Hoosier do not currently produce a tire fitting what we are looking for in a spec tire.
2. Current fuels plus pump gas allowed. Wording needing to make it clear this isn't an open door for hot fuel.
3. 1050 min. weight

Anyone with different info on GY or Hoosier tires please share it. We can use this as a kickoff for a 2009 recognized CFV class or people could decide to use the AR for the next year as a concept evaluation. My personal feeling is that if we only get a couple interested then it would be better to not do this event and just see if the CFV has an momentum next year and then maybe we could try the ARRC then. Others may feel different.

Count me in.

Lee
jgaither

Re: CFV at the ARRC ... if we want

Post by jgaither »

Lee: I think what you and your group is hoping to accomplish is great. Change does take time for people to absorb and embrace. FWIW, I would suggest that you continue the public discussion and target the ARRC in 2009 as the kickoff and then begin the season-long class competition early in 2010. This gives everyone time to get comfortable with the rules and to budget for whatever changes will require money and time. Sounds like a long lead time, but I think chances of success are much greater. Good luck!!!!

jg
lee

Post by lee »

John,

Your suggestion is certainly a reasonable approach. I just wanted to make sure everyone was aware that Butch Kummer had made the offer and it was real.

Lee
jgaither

Post by jgaither »

The Atlanta Region is fortunate to have Butch's leadership at the ARRC. Every year that thing gets better. it will be a terrific place to showcase your idea. The FST boys should be licking their chops to make a good show this year and I'm betting they will. Even the Formula Ford national champ showed up last year to run the brand new FFX class on Dunlop treaded tires and Butch provided a venue for that.

FE has had a huge showing there in '06 & '07. Now that FE is a national class, they can no longer be at the ARRC. The rumor is that the FE field at the Runoffs this year at HPT will be a mere fraction of the ARRC field of '07. Just another example of what folks think is wrong with the national championship program and what is right about a format like the ARRC.

Again - good luck. Start early, promote like hell, communicate till your fingers are shot. This kind of task isn't easy. Even if you're from Hickory!

jg