removing old oil seal in bellhousing

deacon

removing old oil seal in bellhousing

Post by deacon »

Since I have the motor out I wanted to replace the old oil seal. I have removed the throw out bearing and can clearly see the seal. Before I try to pry it out does anyone have a tried and true trick to getting the old one out? How about the new one in?
Sorry for the basic question, but it's my first trip into the dark depths of the running gear. Thanks!
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
brian

Re: removing old oil seal in bellhousing

Post by brian »

First remove the throwout bearing. In the absence of a seal puller I use a screwdriver and carefully collapse one side of the seal and then pry it out. Try no to mangle the case. To install , use a length of pipe the same dia. as the seal and tap in. Try to keep the seal square to the case, if it gets cocked, pull it out and try again. A bit of grease on the seal inside and out, will help the process. Make sure there's grease or oil on the main shaft to lube the seal when the engine is started.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
96vee

Re: removing old oil seal in bellhousing

Post by 96vee »

most part places (pep boys,advance auto, any napa store)usually have a rack of cheap special tools.their is a small seal puller which sort of looks like a flat mountain climbers tool for climbing on ice . i've used one for years and have had no problems.i doubt if it cost very much, but would be worth it's weight in gold after you try to remove one of those seals ,esp, one some one has been clued in ,using screw drivers and chisels , and see the damage you can do to the bell housing .bill c 96vee
99 mysterian m-3
John Deonarine

Re: Removing old oil seal in bellhousing

Post by John Deonarine »

I have to agree with Bill's advice, KD Tools makes a seal remover, it works very well.

John