Lug bolt or Wheel stud and nut?

snookwheel

Lug bolt or Wheel stud and nut?

Post by snookwheel »

I have Diamond Racing wheels with the wide five bolt pattern. I have noticed that the stock VW lug bolts only screw about 3/4 of the way into the brake drum threads. In my mind, for full safety, they should reach clear through the threads and sit flush with the inside of the drum. I have not been able to find the correct length bolt to accomplish this. I could just cut some of the longer ones I have down, but am considering just going to studs Loctite'd in and using lug nuts. Anyone else had the same issue? Is going to wheel lugs the best answer or is cutting the bolts down the way to go? It came to light when one of the holes in my brake drum stripped. I have been torquing to 70 lbs.

Edit: Got home tonight, got motivated and cut 10 of the long lug bolts down to fit correctly. I am still curious if studs are the way to go. Less wear and tear on the drum threads. I may just go with the studs / nuts on the rears.

Scott
Lynn

Re: Lug bolt or Wheel stud and nut?

Post by Lynn »

All of the Solo Vee's that I've checked have lugs and nuts. I think the road racers have to use bolts.
69 Beach Solo Vee, #65 FM

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee
neilcox

Post by neilcox »

Fasteners are free (not without cost :D )
Bbsgarage

Post by Bbsgarage »

Also the Diamond wheels use a 60 degree taper lug nut.
DanRemmers

Post by DanRemmers »

My solo vee has lugs and nuts. I think it's safer and easier to use.
Just make sure that they don't protrude to far into the drum. The brake hardware can get torn up real fast that way.
brian

Post by brian »

You can either get stud kits from a local vw shop or use press in studs. I've used both and the pressed in, while cheaper, can be a challenge. The holes need to be reamed and the cast drums don't lend themselves to reaming and adhearing to the splines on the studs. As Dan mentioned, clearance with brake parts can be an issue as well.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
snookwheel

Post by snookwheel »

Thanks for the responses folks. I am going to order some lugs and nuts tomorrow. Much appreciated. Scott
FM4SOLO

Post by FM4SOLO »

Don't forget the locktite.
Charles