Promoting Formula Vee

JimR

Re: Promoting Formula Vee

Post by JimR »

Any chance of making the FV Registry at the new site secure site using https:\\ ?
You are asking for information including my SCCA # (although not required) that I would rather not share.
While I know this is new, there should also be a terms of use that describes what you will and won't do with the data.
These are suggestions and not criticism as anything that promotes our class is a positive thing.
Jim
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

FV80 wrote:The new website is
http://www.FormulaVeeUSA.org
Steve,

A good start.

We have linked the site from our FV Links list. As you probably know the search engine crawlers and robots assign a higher priority to cross linked sites. So, if you don't mind I would love for you to put a link to our site in there somewhere. If you don't want to commercialize it at all (I don't know what your policies will be), it would still be fruitfull for both of us to put the link to us in your source even if it's invisible.
(However, commercial links on there could also be used to raise some capital for the efforts.)

I would also suggest that anyone who does have an active web site to also add the new FormulaVeeUSA.org web site as a link. This will help to get it ranked as soon as possible.

Jim
SR
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Jim,
Your suggestions are good and I can PROBABLY do that, but I'm not sure. I'll have to check with my hosting company. I didn't think that anyone would really be that concerned about their SCCA number (what could an 'evil person' DO with that!?) - and almost all of the rest of the info is available to anyone with a tiny bit of knowledge and a web browser :) and of what possible utility would the other data be to someone not involved with the class?

Can't do it today, but will look into it when I get some time. As for 'what will we DO with the info'? I guess I could POST that we won't do ANYTHING not directly related to the class with it, but that should be understood. We obviously are in this for the good of the class. I suppose some sharp yaahoo could break into the db - but there's not really any "important info" in there that could damage anyone .. is there?? (My info is there as well...)

Feel free to leave only City and State in the address info - and leave the phone number blank if you want ... but we NEED The email address (Hopefully, it won't cause any spam - that's about the only 'worry' *I* would have about it.)
Steve
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Thanks Jim (SR),
You are correct, and (FYI) at this point "we" (the Committee) are the 'honchos' of the site (actually *I* am <VBG>, but will defer to the Committee if need be). I would imagine that a series of links to most any vendors would be in order ASAP. That would be "for the benefit of the class" - not "just for the vendors". I personally have NO problem providing that link and will do so as long as the rest of the Committee agrees with me. Just a matter of T I M E - I'll get it done.... but not right now... Gotta go get my RV ready for my trip tomorrow!! :)

Anyone who WANTS a link, please send it to me and I'll add it to the list - please (as Jim points out) provide a reciprocal link when YOU get time.
Steve
Bbsgarage

Post by Bbsgarage »

Another idea if you have a FV web site is to join a web ring.

This is the one that I belong to. http://d.webring.com/hub?ring=fv14

It costs nothing to join and I have never gotten any spam from them.

Its a small thing but it is another way to join the FV web community.
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Thanks, Bill - I've joined that webring (pending approval). How about adding a link to us in your 'WOO HOO' section :-) I've added yours to our links page
Steve
Bbsgarage

Post by Bbsgarage »

you should have gotten the approval.
I'll get a link on my page as well.
tppj

Post by tppj »

I'm rather late to the party, but I just wanted to throw my 2 cents into the discussion as regards the decline in the popularity of FV. Yes, it is probably true that complacency set in while the class was raging with 50 car fields. But it is impossible to have this discussion without mentioning the fact that the amateur racing world is a COMPLETELY different animal in 2008 than it was in 1975.

Back when I was involved in FV (1968 to 1976), SCCA was the place to be. There was no real alternative, save Midwest Council and, I'm sure, a few other smaller, less regimented organizations. Now, it is quite rare for up and coming talent to go SCCA club racing. They are in various quasi-professional series', hosted by the likes of Skip Barber and Jim Russell. With rare exception (Jacques Lazier), young drivers on their way to the pros are gravitating to these newer concepts. Bobby Rahal came up in club racing, but that is a pretty rare thing anymore. Also, the week-end warrior can pack his suit and helmet and "arrive and drive" with Barber etc. You don't have to spend hours (and hours) in the garage unless you want to (personally, I loved that part-innovative, careful preparation was half the fun).

The fact is, we cannot ignore the exteme FRAGMENTATION of our sport. It's certainly a factor in the decline of our class and others in the SCCA club racing program. But don't forget the fact that FV has fragmented as well, with traditional club racing, Formula First, vintage, etc. I applaud all of these permutations-I see nothing but positives to this phenomenon.

Tom
maurus97

Post by maurus97 »

FV is doing better than some people might think. While it's true that the vee fields are not what the used to be back in the day, I'll point out that no class is that big anymore. The fact of the matter is gas prices are high and the the dollar is low. Racing in the SCCA is down across the board. But vee fields are still right up there in participation numbers with the spec miatas and wreck racer fords. In fact, vees had the BIGGEST turnout in the 2007 runoffs. I remember reading a forum awhile back similar to this that noted the amount of cars for sale on SR racing being very high as if to imply that lots of people were bailing on the class. But have you noticed the number of cars for sale now with the season approaching? It's very low. I think that the class is doing fine relative to the SCCA as a whole. However, I am in no way saying that being pro-active in promoting the class is a bad thing. The best way to bring new blood in the class is to have some kids :lol: My father has being racing vees for 30+ years and surley that got me into it. I wish more people would start showing up to the June sprints though. Until a couple of years ago, that used to be THE event.
-Nick
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

maurus97 wrote:FV is doing better than some people might think. ...
-Nick
NICK!
You are one of the "missing Runoffs participants" listed on another thread with regards to the FV Registry. You haven't dropped by and signed up. Please PM me and tell me WHY you haven't done so. I really want to know.
tks,
Steve
Mad Dog Racing

Post by Mad Dog Racing »

Nick,

Be careful what you wish for, with the Runoffs moving to RA, next year's Sprints may become one of the biggest. Houston Region moved a race date to cover the vee birthday party and scheduled over the Sprints (cause their race chair said nobody from here goes anyway). I had to stay to hold on to points, but next year I hope to be at RA in June, it's too hot in Houston.
rphillips

Post by rphillips »

As some of you may recall, I made an announcement last year about securing sponsorship from a private individual with the stipulation that I raise money for and bring attention to the Wounded Warrior Project (WWP) foundation. Well, for various reasons I'm not racing as much this year and in order to keep my sponsor happy as well as fulfilling my duties in regards to raising money for WWP my wife and I have been attending classic car shows in my area.

So far we have attended three car shows and Anna Qualls created some nice FV brochures that we are bringing with us. We are finding that attending these car shows is really generating some interest in FV as well. You always have the people that are somewhat interested and ask a few questions but there have probably been 5 people that are genuinely interested in getting involved in FV and are excited about the simplicity of the cars and the low cost of racing them. So, if any FV drivers out there want to help bring more attention to our sport, then think about contacting some of your local classic car clubs and ask them if you can bring your car to their shows. There might be a registration fee of $15 or so but that's a lot cheaper then our entry fees!!

Btw, if anyone is so inclined to help the wounded men and women that have served our country please make a donation at http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/fv. 100% of the money goes to WWP but I get credit for bringing it in. You will get a receipt from WWP so that you can take the tax deduction.

Ray Phillips
John Heckman

Post by John Heckman »

Just to be sure you guys all know the Formula Race Car Club of America is just waiting for more FV entries we have 4 regulars and would like many many more. The guys we have have been having a great time and close races. We are running at Summit Point in July (17, 18 & 19) next let me know if you are interested.
John Heckman
President FRCCA
frcca@ptd.net
570-669-9589
layabout

Post by layabout »

I am with CSRG, a vintage racing group based in Northern California (http://www.csrgracing.org & on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/csrgracing/). We are 50 year old, non-profit organization that holds events at Sonoma Raceway & Thunderhill Raceway.

At most of our events we have a feature Race Group & next year we hope to feature Formula Vee at our 2017 Thunderhill Spring race, April 28-30, held on the three mile East track.

My reason for posting this is to 1) get a feel for the interest level for the event & 2) to ask for suggestions about how to reach FV owners & 3) our FV group has been dwindling over the past few years & we are hoping to reinvigorate it with a good race meet.

Thank you for any help or encouragement you can provide.

Locke
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Locke,
That sounds like a great idea, CA is a LONG tow for most vee drivers in the US, although that is not a reason why you shouldn't give it a try. In addition to here on this forum, I'd suggest that you post on the Left Coast Formula Vee forum (http://norcalfv.proboards.com/board/12/vee-driver-forum). It hasn't been very active as of late, but neither have we.

For something of that magnitude, it's also a bit late for most REALLY LONG TOW people to start trying to add it to their season schedule, but it can't hurt to try. I, for one, would really LIKE to run an event at Thunderhill, but I'm already committed (for something NON RACING) on that weekend. Hopefully, you'll get more interest from elsewhere across the country.

One thing that is not clear... are you thinking in terms of VINTAGE VEE only, or are you planning to allow current Vees in this feature event?
Steve, FV80
layabout

Post by layabout »

Thank you for the information.

Yes, we are thinking of all Formula Vees with (probably) three sub-classifications. All three classes would run together but would be scored separately.