Solo Vee Disc brakes... anyone converted?

snookwheel

Solo Vee Disc brakes... anyone converted?

Post by snookwheel »

I am thinking about making the switch. The cost is very reasonable. Has anyone taken the plunge? What are your thoughts?
The drums do work..... a bit of a leg press, but workable. I am interested in hearing about the experience from someone who has already switched.

Scott
Lynn

Re: Solo Vee Disc brakes... anyone converted?

Post by Lynn »

Scott, this is the only area where no one is sharing info. I think that several of us have found the same info as you probably have, but no one is saying. All I will say is, I'll find out if I screwed up in a few weeks.
69 Beach Solo Vee, #65 FM

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee
RacerGeek

Post by RacerGeek »

Scott,

Since noone is talking... I have ZERO Solo experience, but just converted a vee to a first. Steve Pastore of Vee Sport Racing recommended keeping the drums on the rear. His opinion was that the rotors are significantly heavier than the drums adding unsprung weight and that when properly adjusted the drums are just as effective.
Bob VanDyke
Bbsgarage

Post by Bbsgarage »

RacerGeek wrote:Scott,

Since noone is talking... I have ZERO Solo experience, but just converted a vee to a first. Steve Pastore of Vee Sport Racing recommended keeping the drums on the rear. His opinion was that the rotors are significantly heavier than the drums adding unsprung weight and that when properly adjusted the drums are just as effective.

Solo vees are not held to the same disc brakes as the firsts, we can use "almost" any after market disc setup.
the trick seems to be finding one that will fit inside a 13" rim.
dd46637

Post by dd46637 »

Drum brakes are no longer allowed in Formula First per the 2008 Rules.

The VW parts to convert the rear to disc are fairly inexpensive when compared to the the after market stuff. They will fit inside a 13" wheel with some minor grinding on the outside of the calipers.

As for weight issues there is nothing to prevent lightening of the hub/rotor in the solo vee rules.

I imagine that the biggest issue for solo vee owners is that the FST brake package is a 4X4" bolt pattern which would require new wheels.

Dave
snookwheel

Post by snookwheel »

Well, I guess I am going to find out how much grinding it takes. I just ordered a set for the front. They do only come in four lug, but they sell an adapter plate that will fit the wide five bolt pattern rims. It's three weeks until the next event, plenty of time to get them on. I wonder if I will need to change the proportioning valve with getting rid of the front drums?

Thanks for the replies. Scott
Last edited by snookwheel on March 20th, 2008, 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
dd46637

Post by dd46637 »

They don't take a lot of grinding. Just be careful.
snookwheel

Post by snookwheel »

dd46637 wrote:They don't take a lot of grinding. Just be careful.
That's good news. But what about the proportioning valve. Anyone have thoughts about the proportioning valve? Will the one that I have now with drums front and rear be OK for the new set up?
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

You have a single circuit brake system? :shock: You should strongly consider a dual circuit system for increased safety.
69 Beach Solo Vee, #65 FM

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee
snookwheel

Post by snookwheel »

Lynn wrote:You have a single circuit brake system? :shock: You should strongly consider a dual circuit system for increased safety.
Hmmmm.. I think I had better confirm what kind of system I actually have! Could just be my Nubee ignorance showing :oops:
vreihen

Post by vreihen »

snookwheel wrote:Hmmmm.. I think I had better confirm what kind of system I actually have! Could just be my Nubee ignorance showing :oops:
Assuming that you find a dual-circuit master cylinder setup with one cylinder to the front brakes and the other one to the rears, I would think that you would absolutely need to tweak the bias bar at the pedal after making such radical modifications to the brake system.....
snookwheel

Post by snookwheel »

[quote="snookwheel
Hmmmm.. I think I had better confirm what kind of system I actually have! Could just be my Nubee ignorance showing :oops:[/quote]

:oops: [ external image ]

I am moving beyond my proportioning valve question and we must all agree to never speak of this moment again... :oops: Thanks for gently leading me to the truth Lynn :lol:
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

I am moving beyond my proportioning valve question and we must all agree to never speak of this moment again
I am sure you actually meant proportioning "bar". (or bias bar.) We all knew that. :lol:

Yes, you will have to dial in more front brake bias if you have the same size brake cylinders front and rear..

JIm
77fmod

Post by 77fmod »

So Jim,
I was pretty much all front bias with my drums and have gone to discs on the front but plan to add them in the rear later. I believe I have 5/8" cylinders both front and rear.. What would you expect that I will need to do to gain the additional front bias? and ... What causes the need for the additional bias? less brake material surface or the size of the cylinders behind the pads compared to the size of the wheel cylinders on a drum setup?

Thanks,

Johnny B.
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

On the stock VW setup the rear brake cylinders were 19mm and the fronts were 22. So there was already front bias in the system. The disc brakes you are using probably are the same size front and rear. So you have no bias. (assuming the master cylinders are the same size.) On the formula first cars we have been able to get the proper balance with the standard bias bar set up. I would think you would be able to also. You can achieve bias hydrauliclly or machanically. So you could go to a larger master cylinder on the rear. On a dry track you typically want about 60 to 65% front brake. You should be able to do this mechanically with the bias bar.
snookwheel

Post by snookwheel »

One potential problem looms on the horizon. I ordered adapter plates so I could still use my wide five lug pattern wheels. In reading up on doing the conversion, I read where one individual had a problem with the adapter plate interfering with the caliper. Anyone have experience with this issue? I really did not want to buy new wheels, but if that is the case, I just may have a few sets of front wheels for sale soon.
77fmod

Post by 77fmod »

I'm not sure about the clearance issue but you may want to check the legality of running an adapter plate.. I may be wrong but I seem to remember that it is a no-no..
Anyone please chime in if you can set me straight..

Johnny B.
snookwheel

Post by snookwheel »

77fmod wrote:I'm not sure about the clearance issue but you may want to check the legality of running an adapter plate.. Johnny B.
I had not thought about the legality issue. I hope that is not the case with Solo class!
vreihen

Post by vreihen »

snookwheel wrote:
77fmod wrote:I had not thought about the legality issue.
A reason for the legality issue may be safety.....
snookwheel

Post by snookwheel »

[quote="vreihen A reason for the legality issue may be safety.....[/quote]

Well, safety / legality issues aside... it isn't going to happen. The adapter plate will not fit with the disc brake caliper. So, it's drum brakes for me until I am ready to switch out my wide-five wheels for four lug.

Scott