Cheap enclosed trailer tire rack

snookwheel

Cheap enclosed trailer tire rack

Post by snookwheel »

After looking around at several of the pre fab tire racks available, it became clear that none of them were what I was looking for. So, for very little $$ and time (did it after work today), I added a tire rack. Two 24" E-tracks, two E-track 2x4 holders, 4 2x4's and a couple of 2x4 hangers and the project is finished! I have 6' 2" clearance under the rack. Not that I need it.

This would work for any enclosed trailer. Or converted Uhaul like this one.

The bottom 2x4's the tires sit on, are secured into the etrack clamps with screws.
[ external image ]

The rear upper 2x4 just sits in a 2x4 hanger bracket on each end. Easy to lift the board out to remove tires and keeps the tires from bouncing out. there is another one in front of the rack.

[ external image ]

And, 6' 2" clearance for those taller than me.

[ external image ]
Last edited by snookwheel on March 14th, 2008, 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
fv195

Re: Cheap enclosed trailer tire rack

Post by fv195 »

look great, but my trailer only has 6' of head room any ways, maybe up front. Once I get done building my new lift for the BD party, I'll think about doing something like that. any one looking for a vee lift, this one might be for sale after the party. find me in the pits by turn 3 I hope. yellow #70 and red #95 26' motorhome, 14' enclosed trailer. Lifts can be built to order if you want something special.
THOR
FV70
Captain

Post by Captain »

Thats a neat idea for tall trailers.

For shorter trailers, I really like the one that came with my trailer (built by a vee guy) it mounts the tires flat aginst the wall. Not must to it, just some small square tube and a few bolts!

Jim
NotMoss

Post by NotMoss »

Hey Captain...How about posting a photo of the "against the wall" tire system. I've been thinking of doing this type of rack in my trailer. Thanks! TED
Ted FV 07 (Retired)
sweenrace

Post by sweenrace »

is that a trailer or a cube truck? i always thought a cube truck would be a better way to go than needing a big enclosed trailer and a 3/4 pickup to tow it
snookwheel

Post by snookwheel »

It is a retired and converted 26 ft. diesel powered Uhaul truck. My son and I put it together for our Jeeping adventures. He is off to college and I have moved on to faster fun! It worked very well for the Jeeps (one inside and one behind). I can carry all the tools I need, it has a living area up front, bunk, TV, refrigerator, microwave, sink, AC, hot & cold water, etc... It even has cameras to keep an eye on the inside and behind, from a screen on the dash. Kind of redneck, but works great. 10.5 mpg.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

With the jeeps:
[ external image ]

[ external image ]

Since the above photo's were taken, I added a Solo Vee graphic.
[ external image ]
Captain

Post by Captain »

I can take closer pics if necessary.

Note that the frame structure isn't connected to the walls. It is bolted to the ground, and the frame around the door. The frame members across the top tie it all together. And is an excellent hand hold for shooting the shit. :)

Second pic just shows the spacers that hold the wheel at the proper distance from the wall.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]