What happened to my old VEE

IR3

What happened to my old VEE

Post by IR3 »

I purchased a Beech 5C basket case in 1975. The car must have been off the track for some time because the roll bar was incorrect and it had the fittings for a cable camber compensator. The car was located in the Santa Monica area. I spent a year getting it up to current Vee specs for the time and finished driver school at Willow Springs in 1976. It was registered with Cal Club and had the number 36. I ran the car until 1979 and decided to re-body the car. I had an excellent fiberglass person build a body with a coke bottle shape and he included side pods for cooling. I re-registered the car with Cal Club and kept the number 36. At that point, raising a family and working well over 40 hours per week put an end to my racing for a while. I ran the car with the original body work and paint scheme. The original colors were Red, Yellow and Black. I do not have any pics and I don't remember the color layout. After a while I repainted the body work red. The Beech was sold, I believe, in 1980. I sold it with a unique trailer. The leaf springs for the trailer had a pin, which when removed, allowed the trailer to be lowered to the ground. It eliminated the need for ramps. So that is the story. I do not remember who I sold it to and I never saw it or heard that it was on the track. If anyone has any idea where this car might have ended up I would certainly like to hear about it.

For the short time that I was racing the race weekends were absolutely fantastic. You forgot all about your problems, worries, and just concentrated on racing. I wasn't a back marker nor was I up front. Back in those days the Vee fields on a Regional/National were usually 30 or more cars. There was always someone to race with. I either ran Willow Springs or Riverside. Yes, Riverside, and what a pleasure it was to race on either the long course (Can Am) or the short course. This was before Cal Club reconfigured the area between turns 6, 7, and 8. I still have lots of very enjoyable moments and would be happy to continue chatting on this thread.

Thanks for reading this saga and I hope to hear back.

Thanks,

Iran Ausley Ex FV 36, Cal Club
problemchild

Re: What happened to my old VEE

Post by problemchild »

I have a Beech 5C basket case that had no body .... and now has a new one. I have no idea of history. It is in Buffalo now .... came from somewhere in midwest or west. How many 5Cs were there?
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
IR3

Post by IR3 »

Is the body work that is on the car something that you put on or was it on the car when you got it but not the original 5C bodywork. Could you send me a pic of how the roll bar is mounted to the frame and a pic with the body work on? eMail: ir3@socal.rr.com.

Iran
Veefan

Post by Veefan »

problemchild

Post by problemchild »

Thats been mine for most of the last year. Roll bar has a massive diagonal brace through it. The body is new but original 5C. Unless someone wants it before, it will be my ride for the 50th.
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
twofoot

Post by twofoot »

Last edited by twofoot on July 19th, 2011, 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

Looks the same as it did ..... but now there is lots piled on it and in it. :lol:
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
IR3

Re: What happened to my old VEE(slightly off the subject)

Post by IR3 »

Just going down memory lane, I checked the current Cal Club standings and it looks like FV is dead in Southern California. What has happened. Did all the VEE's move back east.

Still hoping someone shows up with my old Beach.

IR3
tiagosantos

Post by tiagosantos »

If I understand it correctly, most Vee's in Southern California are racing with VARA :)