The latest results... MAC requests...

77fmod

The latest results... MAC requests...

Post by 77fmod »

Hello everyone,
If anybody is even using this site any longer..
Anyway, J.W. and I just got back from the Wilmington Tour and I thought I would let everyone know what it was like.
Of course, it is a great site and the concrete is excellent...
We were running against a few of the best C/Mods in the country and everyone but us was on sticker tires. This is how it went down:
JW was in 5th place after the first day but only .400 out of 3rd and a trophy. I sucked.. DNF'd the 1st run and almost the again on the 2nd but by the time I slowed and went thru the gate I was 4 secs off.. My 3rd was an abort for a down cone and the 4th was not much better. I was in 9th and no chance for a good result.....
The second day we boosted the pressures in the rear and the car came alive... JW was in 3rd by the 2nd run and in a national trophy position.. Unfortunately, he only improved by 2/10s on his final run and the C/mods found more time.. Not to mention that one of the others below him had an extra run and blitzed it all the way to 4th position.. I sucked.. LOL! Not really. I did find some time on my last run and finished 3/10s behind JW.. Although my extra run (down cone) was not as strong as the run I had going that I gave up.. Oh well...

To summarize, I believe we brought our best game on lightly used tires and ended up 3 secs out of 1st after 2 days... I believe it is again time to petition the MAC for more changes.
I would like to see the following changes for the 1915 motor:
10:1 compression
bigger valves
straight cut transmission gearing, if it is even available.. That is how the Fords can make 17 shifts in a run and never miss a gear...
How about allowing the unshrouding of the valves??

Turbo? Nitrous?

Any other suggestions?

Please chime in..

Cheers!

Johnny B.
vreihen

Re: The latest results... MAC requests...

Post by vreihen »

Is the 1915 still limited to one carb? Would dual carbs closer to the heads have any performance or throttle response benefit?????
77fmod

Post by 77fmod »

Yes.. They would, but we would also have to have bigger valves to allow that amount of flow increase potential. Increased compression would add more torque to accelerate out of corners...

JB
Last edited by 77fmod on August 3rd, 2014, 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
77fmod

Post by 77fmod »

Are you running the 1600? Is anyone running the 1600 and if so what are your likes and dislikes?
vreihen

Post by vreihen »

The previous owner of my Vee was running it in A-Mod in a far away region. All of the paperwork implies that it has a basic 1600 with an old Holley Bugspray carb. I never checked it for F-Mod legality, since I wanted to run it in A-Mod for the attendance trophies. At one event, a local driver with a Formula Ford climbed out of his car after his last run of the day and jumped into mine for a fun run. He came off the course *shaking* after the run, and told me that he wanted to buy that engine on the spot for his other car (a Solo Vee) because it was stronger than the Formula Ford engine or any of his VW's. The guy collected aircooled VW toys, and he wanted to find out what made that engine run as strong as it did. Unfortunately we may never know, as the owner (me) took a mechanical shortly after that event and the engine seized up over the next few months from the tubular steel intake manifold rusting to powder on the inside and filling the heads with rusty sand. I tore it down enough to get it rotating again a few years ago, but lost interest putting it back together when I was roped into chairing the Solo programs locally.....
77fmod

Post by 77fmod »

Okay. Just FYI but here are the changes I will be requesting:
Reduce minimum weight to 950 lbs.
Consolidate the 1600 and 1915 engine specs to be 10:1 and the 1600 heads. The only difference to be 1600 gets 2 carbs and the 1915 only one.
Remove the "No unshrouding of the valves" wording...
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

Subaru engines and Hewland transmissions. :lol:

The car ain't getting any lighter and even if I lose 60lbs, we'll still weigh 1044.
69 Beach Solo Vee, #65 FM

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee
RFickes

Post by RFickes »

It is nice to see this forum active again. Before I start rambling I want to wish all my fellow Solo Veers good luck at the national event. And remember: have fun.
I agree with the statement that we need to request changes in the rules. Last year I submitted 2 proposals. The first dealt with the limitation of only being able to machine the heads to raise compression. #10033. The SEB agreed and now allows any surface to be machined. My second dealt with what this post is all about, bettering our engines. I offered 3 scenarios, which were all denied. And they just recently denied my the use of H beam connecting rods #13146.
At the present time I am putting together another motor and agree that changes need to be made, and we ALL must agree to the changes. So here is my suggestion and rational: Heads 40mm x 35.5mm valves Besides better flow easier to find and yes unshroud the valves. Compression 10:1, Dual 44 or 40 carbs with 30mm venture. (Rational if we get too fast they can move us back to 28mm) and lastly a 10 lb flywheel.
As for the transaxle, we can us straight cut gears under the current rules. Converting a Hewland Mk 8 or 9 can be done because I have already discussed it with a trans builder. The biggest problem besides the price is the shifter. FF invert the whole trans which puts the shifter on the left. So maybe an old super vee or formula mazda but it can be done.
Again good luck and have fun, Richard
77fmod

Post by 77fmod »

Thanks for that info..
I am dropping the straight cut gears request as it is cost prohibitive..
Asking for 950 lb weight, same heads and compression for both engines. The only difference between the two engines would be the number of carbs allowed..
Unshrouding the valves..

Best regards,

JB