Muffler

RFickes

Muffler

Post by RFickes »

I need to quite my car down a bit so I can run events out of my area. What mufflers are being used by solo vees that quiet things down without robbing hp? Will a simple glasspack with a turndown work or do I need to break out the big bucks for Burns?
Thanks for any advice, R
FV80
Site Admin

Re: Muffler

Post by FV80 »

Depends on how much quieter you need/want to be. Almost ANYTHING in the exhaust will lower the dB reading, but temperature, humidity and a few other factors can vary the readings significantly. (some locations do NOT abide by the SCCA "50 foot from the edge of the track" limit).

What are your current readings - at what track and conditions and how much do you want to lower it ?
Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
RFickes

Post by RFickes »

Current reading are in the 103db range. I will stick with the SCCA 50 foot measurement as I hope someday to get to a national event.
Thanks, R
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

A simple Super Trapp will drop it several db, and you can tune it for more or less. HP loss is not significant.
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

I have a SuperTrapp and a Burns. I found that the Supertrapp killed the hp when used at a National a few years ago. I had to go down to only four disks to meet the sound limit. That venue has stricter limits than the National regs. The shorter Burns will gets me down to 95 to 98 dBa at most courses depending on conditions. I have gotten over 101 with it at Blytheville. I use the Burns all the time. It added 10 hp on SR Racings dyno. It seems to function as a long collector. I keep the Supertrapp in the truck in case the Burns isn't enough.
69 Beach Solo Vee, #65 FM

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee
RFickes

Post by RFickes »

Lynn, which Supertrapp were you using? clamp on spark arrestor or the longer 18 inch with the diffuser
Thanks, Richard
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

I have the clamp on Supertrapp.
69 Beach Solo Vee, #65 FM

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee