Max HP from a 1915cc Solo Vee motor?

Stan

Max HP from a 1915cc Solo Vee motor?

Post by Stan »

Is there a consensus hp figure for a well-made 1915cc solo vee motor?

Thanks in advance...just day dreaming about soloing our Club Racing FV. :mrgreen:
SR Racing

Re: Max HP from a 1915cc Solo Vee motor?

Post by SR Racing »

We have built and dyno'd a few dozen motors in the 1900- 2300 cc area. Tell me what the rules are for induction and cam and I can tell you pretty close to what it would be.
Stan

Post by Stan »

Thanks Jim. Induction and cam are per Solo GCR:
1915cc max
9:1 CR
DP heads permitted with polishing and porting
one two-bbl carb with any intake manifold (dual carbs not permitted)
maximum valve sizes 39mm intake and 32mm exhaust
any non-roller camshaft

Need anything else? Thanks! Stan
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

My late, lamented 1915 pulled 102hp and 102ft-lbs on the SR Racing chassis dyno.
69 Beach Solo Vee, #65 FM

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee
Stan

Post by Stan »

Thanks Lynn! After replying to Jim last night I did some googling and came up with this: 1915cc High Performance Engine

That puts your 102 on a chassis dyno in about the right light, I suspect. Dual IDAs have to be worth a bit! :lol:
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

Sounds pretty close. We have a 1915 on the dyno as we speak. Scat cam similar to a mild street cam or W-110, same heads, dual Web 40's. (straight up cam timing). CR=~8:1. Getting 124 at ~5000 RPM. (Engine dyno) Probably 115+ on an engine dyno with a typical Vee drive train.
Stan

Post by Stan »

Thanks Jim! What do you think the max potential is with a single 2-bbl carb as required in Solo Vee?
vreihen

Post by vreihen »

Even more important, how does it rank in HP/torque compared with a Formula Ford?????
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

If solo FF rules are the same as Road Racing FF's ; A decent FF puts down about 110 HP to the rear wheels. (Not at the shop to look at the chassis dyno stuff, but I am pretty sure that is close) A FF with straight cut gears has the potential to put a little more HP to the wheels than a Vee. A FV trans is not quite as efficient. Also a FF has a close ratio gear set with lots of options to keep it close to peak HP on the course. No problem building a ACVW with more HP, but keeping it in that peak HP range is a bit more difficult on the track.

The torque ranges will be different but torque has little to do with it. For all practical purposes torque is just a mathematical force vector used to determine HP. No matter what the torque is, two engines of equal HP can do the same amount of work when matched to the proper drive train gearing. (all other things equal).

Torque IS HP when the equation of time/speed is included.

For the most part, the Torque vs HP issue is one invented by Madison avenue and used to sell pickup trucks. :lol: When you get into very large torque engines like diesels, it deserves some attention due to the massive rotating components required.

BTW, Tomorrow we are having our annual Tech and Dyno day at the shop. Sale prices on most all items, $50 for multiple chassis dyno runs and there is a 1915 ACVW on the dyno for demonstration.

We MIGHT have aF on the chassis dyno along with a TransAm car and a few others.

So bring it down and see what you got. :idea:
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

Hey found this: http://sracing.com/Store/Chassis_Dyno/cffHP.jpg on my web site. It's an older Club FF.

Bottom of this page is a few other samples:
http://sracing.com/Store/Chassis_Dyno/cdyno.htm

Jim
SR
Stan

Post by Stan »

SR Racing wrote:Sounds pretty close. We have a 1915 on the dyno as we speak. Scat cam similar to a mild street cam or W-110, same heads, dual Web 40's. (straight up cam timing). CR=~8:1. Getting 124 at ~5000 RPM. (Engine dyno) Probably 115+ on an engine dyno with a typical Vee drive train.
Jim, did you mean "chassis dyno" for that last part? Thank! Stan
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

Yes Stan, Sorry. Chassis dyno for the 115 HP.

Jim
Stan

Post by Stan »

My goals have shifted somewhat since I started this thread. As some of you may know I am a long time sports racer guy in addition to formula cars, and have been fortunate enough to have my cars win the Runoffs in both FA and CSR. Anyway, in discussions with others the suggestion has come up to write a specification for a "sports racer vee" within SR2 (the new class that will replace DSR and S2 in club racing next year). SR2 operates on a power-to-weight formula where an 1100 lbs car gets 140 hp.

I had a good conversation with Jim at SR Racing about how to accomplish the 140 hp figure, and it seemed within reach of a Solo Vee build with a few enhancements. The rest of the car would be a single- or two-seat car based loosely on the FV, FST and Solo Vee rules, but with full bodywork. The idea is to create the cheapest practical sports racer competitive within the current and planned club racing SR structure. More on this later...gotta head to the shop.
vreihen

Post by vreihen »

Stan,

Just keep in mind that the Solo Vee spec does not have any ties to GCR. It was developed by the Solo committees, for the unique needs of autocrossers.....