Formula Vee SOLO questions

SR Racing

Re: Formula Vee SOLO questions

Post by SR Racing »

Speaking about the engine…which would be better for autocross?
1.Dual Carbs
2.1951cc
I don't know all the rules for FV in Solo. But, there will be no "better". The smaller engine with the duals is going to produce it's peak HP in the ~5500+ RPM area. The 1951 will do it in the ~5100 area. They will have different curves, with the 1915 probably having more torque and as much HP "under the curve". This assumes the same cam and timing. So the "better" engine will depend upon the track design, your final drive gearing and where you can shift at.

Since BTU released will be about the same in either engine, cooling issues will be similar. We have built many 150 to 180 HP ACVW's but none in the exact configurations you have here, so I don't have the dyno nums to be precise.
bill_browne

Post by bill_browne »

Rats! I finally get someone to compete with in FM and they move us to C-Mod. Phooey.

I'm assuming you'll be running with the Delta region SCCA. I suggest downloading the rule book, as there are specific engine rules regarding displacement, compression, and carburator combinations.

Second, there is another thread in this Solo Vee forum titled 'cooling fans'. It might be of some help to you. Currently, I only run the stock oil cooler, and I'm going to be replacing it with a bypass cover. My oil temps never get above 180, no matter how stinkin' hot it gets outside.

If you plan on running the TLAC series, you'll have me in my vee to compete with. But you'll also have Rob and Jeremy in their FF's. That'll give us some rabbits to chase.

And get some nice wide slicks for that thing. You're gonna need 'em! :mrgreen:
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

Real Racing Wheels makes three piece aluminum wheels. For more money, there is Bogart. For a lot more money, there are Keizer and Kodiak.

Diamond Racing Wheels makes spun steel wheels.
69 Beach Solo Vee, #65 FM

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee
bill_browne

Post by bill_browne »

Kayakanimal wrote:Yes I run in delta. Where do you run?
SoWeLa region in Lake Charles. I plan on making all 4 TLACS this year. Hope to see you there.
bill_browne

Post by bill_browne »

Kayakanimal wrote:Can I ask what size rims/tires you are running?
The wheels are 13" diameter, 8" width. I get hand me down tires from my buddy that runs FF in CM in exchange for post event food and beer. I'll have to get the car (and the driver) sorted a bit better before I plunk down $900 on a set of tires.

My car has been changed over to Ghia disk brakes, so my wheels have a bolt pattern (4-130) that is not real common. The wheels I have now are steel roundy-round wheels. I've not been able to locate any aluminum wheels yet.
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

Kayakanimal wrote:
bill_browne wrote:
Kayakanimal wrote:Can I ask what size rims/tires you are running?
The wheels are 13" diameter, 8" width. I get hand me down tires from my buddy that runs FF in CM in exchange for post event food and beer. I'll have to get the car (and the driver) sorted a bit better before I plunk down $900 on a set of tires.

My car has been changed over to Ghia disk brakes, so my wheels have a bolt pattern (4-130) that is not real common. The wheels I have now are steel roundy-round wheels. I've not been able to locate any aluminum wheels yet.
Do you think 13X8 in front and 13X10 in the rear is over kill?
That is what most of us use. There is a school of thought that 13x6 and 13x8 might be better since they should heat up quicker. Most use the smaller sizes for rain tires.
69 Beach Solo Vee, #65 FM

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee