Where are all the Solo Vee Drivers

bug1960

Where are all the Solo Vee Drivers

Post by bug1960 »

Just wondering where all the Solo Vee drivers are. Looking at the latest tour results it doesent seem that there have been many Solo Vee's. Is there another forum that I am not aware of. Many Vee drivers wonder why the 440's and 500's are getting faster.......I think it has to do with the fact that they work together and share information about their changes and builds. By evidence of this forum and lack of posts the Solo Vee community seems to think that the information should be kept close. I would love to see more Vee drivers Sign up for the Toledo Tour. At least we will have 2 Vee's trying to take out the 500's.

Todd~
FM 88
vreihen

Re: Where are all the Solo Vee Drivers

Post by vreihen »

My own take on the problem is that the Solo Vee community lost a great deal of its talent pool of drivers and car setup people in the two years leading up to the Solo Vee rule changes. Between that and the economy tanking, it seems that people with the know-how to build a car to the limits of the new allowances and with pockets deep enough to finance the work are few and far between. Also, FV in general seems to be a somewhat stagnant class in terms of new innovation, where everything that can be done with 40-year-old parts has already been well tested and documented. Look at the friction between FST and FV drivers when they suggest to upgrade to "only" 30-year-old parts! The attitude seems to be 180 degrees opposite in the F500 camp, which is why they keep getting faster. I would love to see a bunch of Vees out and prove me wrong, but unless there is some secret web site where the Solo Vee drivers have been meeting the only thing that I've seen here in months here are crickets chirping.

I'll be rooting for the Vee drivers at Toledo, and hope that y'all can bring some pride (and trophies) back for us Vee owners.....
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

Why am I not going to Toledo? It is the same weekend as the Midiv Divisional in St. Louis. And, I am the SSS for the Divisional. Also, Toledo is a nine hour tow from STL. For the other Midiv Solo Vees it is more than 13 hours. So the Midiv Solo Vees that travel at all will be in STL. Also, in my case, I will be making the following tows of over three hours: Blytheville (twice), Lincoln (twice), Nesho (Midiv), Kansas City (Midiv), Topeka (Midiv), and probably Nashville.

I know why the F500's are getting faster. They are a GCR legal class with both manufacturers and drivers doing a lot of development. Some of those drivers are national level drivers in both Solo and Club Racing. Of course, Solo Vees are not a Club Racing class and no national level drivers are participating in both. For that matter, it is my opinion that there are no national level Solo drivers in Solo Vee anymore. I hope that you and Johnny B. prove me wrong.
69 Beach Solo Vee, #65 FM

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee
RFickes

Post by RFickes »

I would like to add my opinion to this topic. I have been told by numerous sources that no matter how much money is spent or how good the driver, beating a F500 with a solo vee will not happen. As explained to me the reason is simple: size and hp to weight ratio. With that said I think we as a group have 2 options. Petition SCCA SEB to change thr rules even further for the Solo Vee ( less weight and more hp) or what has been more strongly suggested let us form a new class ( vee mod VM).
But until either of the above happens, I agree with bug1960 that we share information and set ups. I realize that each of our cars is different but there are enough commonalities that by sharing we can improve our overall performance.
So I will go first: One of the best improvements I have made was change my car (Caldwell D13) to rack and pinion. The swap was very easy and besides a quicker and more precise steering, it gets rid of the clutter in the foowell allowing left foot braking. I also bought a larger steering wheeel: Momo 270mm for more leverage.
There is a simple bolt in kit from Appletree
http://www.appletreeauto.com/RACK-STEERING-KIT
SR Racing made a new steering shaft and was kind enough to weld on a new splined hub for my steering wheel.
Quixote Racing build the tierods with a 7/16 left hand thread on one end and threaded the other for the 14mmx 1.5 right hand for the clevis from the kit. As always thank you to both of these people for their help and support.
My issue at the moment is getting the front end set up correctly. It just a little too soft.
I am debating using one of the following but would appreciat your opinion: single adjustable shock with a progressive bump stop or an ATV air shock with a light spring.
Thank you and good racing,Richard
gallopingghost

Post by gallopingghost »

Well, I have been working on getting my car faster, by upgrading the engine to 1915 cc, shorter 3rd and 4th gears, 40 IDF, and playing with suspension setup. I went to 10 and 11 inch tires but could not generate enough heat into them so I went back to a taller tire and narrower. I played around with coilovers to prevent bottoming out but may go back to the Koni's in the front. I have rebuilt most everything I can but still am out 1 to seconds out according to Pax on a 60 second course. I actually replaced my steering box but did not go to a rack.....should of gone to a rack. I will be at the Colorado national tour but I don't think I can hang with the formula 500's.

I would like to lower ride height but with the extra oilpan depth I have, I bottomed out! I may need to build a bar to protect the pan. In the southwest, I have been struggling to keep the oil cool. I would love to hear any other suggestions.
77FV Rio Grande Region SCCA
76 Bobsy
vreihen

Post by vreihen »

I have a stupid question about your FV. Are you sure that it is a 1976 Bobsy FV? I was under the impression that Bobsy only made FV's from 1964-1966 (Vanguard), and a few (20?) Vega FV's in 1967. Just curious.....
gallopingghost

Post by gallopingghost »

The person I bought it from indicated that the frame was Bobsy. I don't have my log book handy but that was the information I was given. It was originally raced as FV and move to solo in the late 90's. It was a Colorado car for years and was sold to the previous owner in 2002. The body is Cauldwell/D13?
77FV Rio Grande Region SCCA
76 Bobsy
77fmod

Post by 77fmod »

Well.. I had intended to run the Toledo event but my bad luck from last year has followed me all the way into this one.

I broke the oil pump drive gear at a test-n-tune early in the year and had to have the engine rebuilt. Took it out to the next event and made it all the way through the first gear and it locked up. Took it back to the builder. He supposed he might have had the crank endplay too tight as the rear main had grabbed the crank. Took it out to the next event. Made it all the way into the 2nd gear and it locked up. Took it back and he was totally bewildered as was I since the motor had been bulletproof up until now. So he pressure tested all the oil gallies.. They were all ok. Finally, he took the new oil pump drive gear put it into a vise, put a wrench on the shaft and was able to tun the shaft in the gear!

Took it out two weeks ago and got all the way through the divisionals without breaking. SO you see my year has been taking the motor out and putting it back in...

I drove like a rookie at that event. driving right to the apex cones in a couple of corners but hey.. It was my first time out and I was so happy the car didn't break that it took me several runs just to start trusting it again.

As far as the car becoming competitive with the 500's goes, I believe we are not far off with this car. I simply need more seat time.

Having said that, I have submitted a request to the MAC for a rules change. I am sking that they eliminate the wording that states we are not allowed electric or pneumatic Push button assist on our shift linkage. The argument being of course that our competitors do not have to shift at all and can keep their hands on the wheel at all times.

I hope you all will support this request. It is a rather inexpensive thing to do and the allowable cable or hydraulics are just to bulky to fit in our cockpits.

Johnny B.
vreihen

Post by vreihen »

77fmod

Post by 77fmod »

That is illegal, also.... and too dam expensive. Not to mention that it looks too bulky to fit in cockpit.. but thanks for sharing....
vreihen

Post by vreihen »

Maybe I mis-read your summary, but I assumed that you were asking for a paddle shifter allowance. If so, the nosecone end of that kit is hiding the mechanical key to making the VW gearbox shift sequentially. I wouldn't use it hydraulically, but rather as the template for how to build an electro-mechanical shifter unless you have an easier idea using the existing hockey stick linkages.....
Vernon Maxey

Post by Vernon Maxey »

Limited Slip, Ground Effects. Working on this Winter for the 2012 Season...
RFickes

Post by RFickes »

Vernon, I agree that an LSD would help Here is a link for a Quaiffe http://www.jayracing.com/index.php?main ... ts_id=4378
But as an alternative here is another interesting link,
http://www.pre67vw.com/production/gearbox_codes.aspx Notice the trans with the code AD and AE these are stock VW LSD and from my limited research they were clutch type, and were put in VW ambulances. Hard to find but they do exist. My personal preferance is the clutch type as it seem to produce less understeer in slow turns.
The ground affects is also interesting because I was thinking of using louvers under the engine to cool it and to create down force. Also reconfigurating the front to also creat down force.
Gool luck,Rich
Vernon Maxey

Post by Vernon Maxey »

Thanks Rich, I'll take a look.
77fmod

Post by 77fmod »

vreheim,

Sorry. I misunderstood your intent. I have devised an evil plan..... :twisted:

What type of activation would you have inside the nose cone? You would still have to use the clutch of course...

Interesting though....

Thanks
bill_browne

Post by bill_browne »

I guess now that I've found my password, I can start chiming in. :roll:

Since I'm a full 7 seconds behing the CM driver I get bumped with, it's obvious I don't have any major performance information I can share. I'm fighting a really loose condition, and since all I hear is how tight vee's are, I figure I got a lot of work to do. That, and I dropped a valve at the last event. Gonna be a long, expensive off season.

Bill