Thank You

RFickes

Thank You

Post by RFickes »

After 5 months of assembling and reassembling, I am finally ready to take my solo vee project out on its first autox and do some testing and sorting. It has occured to me though that there are people that realy deserve my thanks in helping me get to this point.
First is Gordan D of Melbourne, Fl. He gave me, yes you read correctly, ------> gave me the Caldwell frame , body and a few assorted pieces. Gordan is a vintage vee racer and a great friend. Thanks, Gordan
Next SR Racing. These are dedicated enthusiast that really know the sport. Besides having a wealth of knowledge there prices and service are unbeatible. Thank you
Here in Melbourne, Fl I would like to give a big thanks to Space Coast Imports. Steve And Stephen are an invaluable source of VW information and parts. Their knowledge goes back to the days when aircooled VW's were a common sight and still advertised on television. Thanks, guys
Quixote Racing in Lakeside, Ca. Dietmar, or the guru of all things Caldwell as I like to call him made this project a reality. When I need a part for the D-13, he either had it or made it for me. His service and prices can not be matched. When ever I had a question, which were many, he was the first person I called. Dietmar would drop what ever he was doing, which was sleeping one time because I forgot about the time difference ;-) and talk me through the problem until a solution was obtained. Thank you. Dietmar
And lastly my wife, who has supported and encouraged me, always. Their are none better.
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll22 ... lmost2.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll22 ... Almost.jpg
Thanks, all
FV80
Site Admin

Re: Thank You

Post by FV80 »

Rich,
The car looks GREAT - hope it does well for you. A couple of things I noted from the pix
1). I'm not certain, but doubt that mirrors are required for solo. I suspect you might be better off without them if you don't HAVE to have them.
2). After you've run it a couple of times, it looks to me like you could lower the front a bit - not sure what that would involve on your chassis, but raising the beam mounts on the car chassis is one way. Installing an adjustable droop on the beam spring pack is another. Using the beam relocation method, you don't affect the angle of the turkey legs - using the adjustable droop changes the orientation of the spring Pack and therefore the turkey legs and therefore the inclination of the link pin assembly and would likely affect handling more than just lowering the CG.

At any rate - looks like a nice job - run it and enjoy it! :mrgreen:
Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
RFickes

Post by RFickes »

I agree with you on both issues. When I paint the car, the mirrors will be gone. As for your second suggestion, I am not sure what is going on with the front end. I have an adjustable ride height adjuster on the beam and it is set in the lowest position. I have thought that there might be other possibilities. 1. It just needs to settle. 2 The battery has been relocated behind the seat. 3 I am running (temporarly) a 22 x 9 x 13 front tires, which are taller than the 8 inch wide that most of us are running.
Thanks again, Rich
1969zeitler

Post by 1969zeitler »

So when and where are you going to run it? I would like to come see it on it's first run.
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

I have a VERY understanding Wife.
RFickes

Post by RFickes »

I am going to a Martin Sports Car Club event in Tavares, Fl . I just want to run the engine a little to get it broke in before I upgrade the heads and valve springs. The rev limiter is set for 5000 rpm to keep me from doing anything too stupid. Also I need to get a feel for the whole car . It has been a long time since I drove a car with no power steering or power brakes. :-)
So my plan is nice easy runs and evaluate the car and see what falls off. Then next week get it corner weighted and aligned and fix whatever goes on the list before the CFRSCCA event at Deland on the 25 and 26 of this month.
1969zeitler

Post by 1969zeitler »

I will try to see you there tomorrow.
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

1969zeitler

Post by 1969zeitler »

Got a chance to meet a fellow board member and great vee guy today. Richard (RFickes)has built a great solo vee and is very proud of it (I would be too). A lot of time went into building it and it shows. Glad I was there to capture it on camera and video. He and his VEE did very well for the first time out and the weather was super too. I will post some photos later today. Nice to put a face to a name.
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

Richard:

You are welcome! Glad I could help.

Anxious to hear how things worked out.

Dietmar
http://www.Quixoteracing.com
1969zeitler

Post by 1969zeitler »

Some photos of Richards D13 at Tavares Fl. Nice Job Richard!

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

Lynn

Post by Lynn »

Those pictures scare me. Please get some eye protection. The roll bar is not legal. For Solo, it needs to be at least as high as your helmet.

Nice job with the car. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine.
69 Beach Solo Vee, #65 FM

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

I also retract my suggestion about lowering the front end... don't think you can tolerate going any lower :P
Car looks GOOD on the track...
Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
RFickes

Post by RFickes »

I am pleased to report that the first time out produced no major problems. That does by no meam there is not a lot to sort out. I took the first two runs very slowly in second gear. First with out the rev limiter and then with the rev limiter set at 5100 rpms. Both times the car seemed to be either running out of fuel or floating the valves or is severly jetted wrong. The next two runs I accelerated hard in second and shifted to third. Once third came on cam it pulled hard. In its current configuration to break in the engine, I am using stock heads and valve springs so I suspect I am floating the valves.
I agree with lynn on both issues. This afternoon I will be purchasing a full face helmet. I was so focused on the mechanicals I forgot about the stones that race tires pick up and hurl at you at high speed. As for the rollbar, I noticed that also when I looked at the pics. This morning I sat in the car with the helmet on and when positioned correctly it was below the bar. But looking at the pictures I am sitting up. Possible reasons: With bifocals I is was looking through the bottom and had to sit up to adjust my vision, which I do with out thinking. Also the seating position is still a little too far forward and after I get a new gas tank fabricated will be moving the seat back and racking it slightly. Lastly I might have been looking for better leverage on the steering wheel ( 10 incher) to turn those race slicks. I haven't driven a car with out power steering since my MGA ;-)
Thanks Roger for stopping out to encourage me and take those great pictures. Hope your projects are completed soon so we see you out there.
snookwheel

Post by snookwheel »

Very nice Richard! I will bring my SoloVee out of storage to run with you one of the upcoming events! Beautiful job!

Give me a call sometime so I can find out which events you are planning to run (727-786-6852). Heading to Brooksville soon?

Scott (guy with the Stalker)
1969zeitler

Post by 1969zeitler »

I will be at the Deland event if you guys want some photos. I have a Hero wide and HD I can put on your VEE's and make you a copy if you want it. Let me know if you are going. I think it is this Sunday.
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now