I'm goin' retro

mityfast

I'm goin' retro

Post by mityfast »

Bought a new aircooled toy today....kinda retro kewl for an old guy like me... a great companion for my Huron and my Bugatti kit car....I feel the urge to pull a wheelie!

[ external image ]
[ external image ]

Can't wait for spring.

Paul
snookwheel

Re: I'm goin' retro

Post by snookwheel »

Very nice Paul! By the pictures, it looks like someone put some time into it. What size engine does it have? Those can be pretty quick..... and fun.

Scott
mityfast

Post by mityfast »

Scott,

It came with no records. The lady engineer that owned it said it was a "pro built 1800 or 1915" (she thought?) and it is extremely well built. It is not built on a Beetle chassis, but rather on a beautifully crafted custom chassis "to withstand the power of the engine"...I do not know...however, I do know it goes like stink and plan on dynoeing her to see what she puts out if the weather turns nice again (rain and snow in our forecats for the next several days).

Is there anything that I could look for that would give a clue as to what size engine I have?

Paul
1969zeitler

Post by 1969zeitler »

Had one like that a long time ago. Missed it the day I sold it.... Nice car and should be a blast to drive.
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

I have a VERY understanding Wife.
mityfast

Post by mityfast »

Did a little cleaning today and the carbs are 44 IDFs , so that pretty well convinces me that the engine is 1800 or larger.

P
snookwheel

Post by snookwheel »

Looking forward to seeing the Dyno results!
fv195

Post by fv195 »

I have a 74 thing that will lift the front wheels(with vee slicks on back) running a 1835 with dual webber 34's dyno showed 149hp. surprised me and the guy running the dyno.
THOR
full cage, race seat, 5 point belts
mityfast

Post by mityfast »

fv195 wrote:I have a 74 thing that will lift the front wheels(with vee slicks on back) running a 1835 with dual webber 34's dyno showed 149hp. surprised me and the guy running the dyno.
THOR
full cage, race seat, 5 point belts
Dynoed the buggy today.

No such surprise here...rather tame results.....but i am happy to know that it will be a bullit proof runner without anything too overly stressed.

My expert VW guy says based on today's results he would guess it is a mild built 1835...he did say with some jetting and a valve adjustment he is sure to pull a few more horses out of her.

81.87 hp at the wheels (94.7 hp flywheel)
102.79 torque

Weight 1174 pounds

Theoretical 0 - 60 mph = 5.78 seconds

Here's the video link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmRjTf7E8r4

34 degress Farenheit and still driving the buggy...last year we had 3 feet of snow by now!!

Beev (with frozen ears)