Legends cars in FM

Lynn

Legends cars in FM

Post by Lynn »

So, how do you feel about the proposal to add Legends cars to FM? They have a slightly worse power to weight ratio than a minimum weight solo vee with a 1915. They are narrower and have a shorter wheelbase. They have a better front suspension and the solid rear axle suspension can be better on smooth surfaces than swing arms. They run 205 width street tires on 7" wide 13" wheels. Should they get any other allowances? I would be in favor of letting them have slicks on their current wheels. After a couple of years, other allowances could be made if needed.
69 Beach Solo Vee, #65 FM

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee
DanRemmers

Re: Legends cars in FM

Post by DanRemmers »

That sounds fine to me. It would stir things up a bit, and keep FM from becoming a F500 only class.

Where did this proposal come from? (I haven't had a chance to read the latest Sports Car.)
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee
qreshadow

Post by qreshadow »

Locally, many regions run them in F MOD now. Their short wheelbase and lack of good rubber make them somewhat of a handful on an autox course, at least the ones that I've seen anyway.

They need some help if they are to be a factor in the class but that can come as SCCA sees them compete. I'm not opposed to giving them some good tire options to start and whatever else is needed to help them be competitive in the class as the events prove out. However, I'd expect that may be a lot :roll:
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

After thinking about this for a while, I would be in favor of let them have 10" wheels and slicks. Maybe open up the shock rule.

They actually have quite a bit worse power to weight ratio. I was using Vern's rear wheel hp from his dyno runs, but the Yamaha engine's stated crank hp. At least, I think it is crack hp.

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee
qreshadow

Post by qreshadow »

HP by itself isn't their problem. It's the short wheelbase coupled with their narrow track that will keep them from handling well around the cones. I guess I should also add that their weight and height doesn't help much either :cry: . They're just not a good autox package. Wider wheels, slicks and ? can help but I doubt that will be all that's needed.
brianmetcalf

Post by brianmetcalf »

I have run a legends car in solo's and they are a handfull! their suspension could be alot better but giving them slicks isn't the only thing they would need to be a factor in FM. 600 racing has made theit spindles weak so putting wider slick tires can dammage them. I loved autoXing my legends but there was alot that needed to be done to the car.