The Solo Vee is getting a room mate

snookwheel

The Solo Vee is getting a room mate

Post by snookwheel »

My wife has been co-driving my Solo Vee between events where she drives her Solstice. She decided to sell her Solstice and now a new even less practical car is on it's way to the house. A Brunton Super Stalker!
[ external image ]
Now I have to figure out how to fit both in the race trailer. Should be a fun ride. I am sure it comes with a steep learning curve! It arrives next Tuesday.

Scott
mityfast

Re: The Solo Vee is getting a room mate

Post by mityfast »

Scott, You are one lucky guy..I have been a fan of the Stalker for some time but they are not eligible for importation into Canada. Enjoy and be safe....those things are considerably overpowered...just what I am planning for my Huron. haha
snookwheel

Post by snookwheel »

Hi Paul. It should be a lot of fun. So what are the plans for the Huron Powerplant? As far as Stalkers in Canada, someone did manage to get one up there. In fact, I think it is for sale now. Just google "Brunton Stalker calgary" and it should pop up.
Scott
mityfast

Post by mityfast »

I expect the reason the Calgary Stalker is for sale is that he cannot get it registered legally nor insured here....would be alright as a strictly race car. I have a need to have my cars fully insured and i like that every strange car i have had has been street legal as i never get enough time on the track.

The Huron is going to get a modified Porsche 914 engine...modified to a regular VW style doghouse look engine as opposed to the flat configuration on the 914...approx 120 hp stock with endless options to get more hp if required. I personally think 120 in a vintage 925 pound street driven FV will be enough of a handful....similar power to weight ratio of a Honda civic with 350 hp....enough for now anyhow... smiles

Paul

ps my engine builder has 15 engines ahead of him so i will have to wait a couple of months at least...he is promising to have it done to enjoy the experience this year (hopefully before snow)
snookwheel

Post by snookwheel »

It's here! Registered and licensed. My wife and Son love it. Now I gotta fab a way to ramp up the front of the Solo Vee to fit over the nose of the Stalker. HUGE torque.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

Dang, she might give me some serious competition. Maybe I can beg a Co-Drive. I did let her drive my Solo Vee :lol:
mityfast

Post by mityfast »

Youre killin me here just looking at that thing....and drooling.

Enjoy!

Paul
snookwheel

Post by snookwheel »

We did get to test it last weekend. VERY fun and a little loose ... OK, a lot loose on street tires. But, new 13 race wheels and a set of C91 Hankook slicks go on tomorrow. I expect it will grip a bit better next weekend.

I still have not built the ramps I need to bring the Solo Vee and Stalker together in our race trailer. So unless it is a zero chance of rain weekend, the Solo Vee will have to sit this weekend out. Otherwise, My wife can drive the Stalker out and I'll haul the Vee and her race wheels/tires.

[ external image ]
77fmod

Post by 77fmod »

AWESOME!!! :twisted:
snookwheel

Post by snookwheel »

Tomorrow is the day for race tires. I had to grind the calipers to make them fit, but it should be a big change in .... well, everything. My wife painted the toenails (Calipers) on her new ride after the grinding was finished.
[ external image ]

Big sticky tires to hide Driver 'issues' are ready. We are going to BMW club AutoX in the morning. Next project is to get the Solo Vee in the trailer with the Stalker.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]
DanRemmers

Post by DanRemmers »

What's the diameter of those tires? The local DMod drivers use Hoosier 20x9x13, but yours look more like 22s. Of course, you can use those tires on the rear of the solo vee as well. AND, if you change the bolt pattern on the vee, you can switch wheels back and forth!

Did those front fenders rub the tires?
snookwheel

Post by snookwheel »

Good eye Mr. Remmers! the tires are 240/570/13. Very close to 22" diameter. They are the same ones that I use for the rear of our Solo Vee. The fenders move with the wheels, so no rubbing.

It rained today. Once it stopped, I took a few runs. A lot of standing water and learning a new ride... no track records today. But clearly, this thing has a lot of FTD's in it's future.

Here's a run of mine in the wet: http://blip.tv/file/2377510

And one of my wife's in the kinda dry http://blip.tv/file/2379009