Rain tire advice needed

snookwheel

Rain tire advice needed

Post by snookwheel »

I have a full set of skinny formula Vee rain tires and wheels. However, I am sure that there is a better tire to be using in wet conditions for a Solo Vee. What are you folks using? I don't mind having to get a new set of wheels for a rain tire set up. I am sure I can sell the Formula Vee wheels and rain tires. Any advice welcome.

Scott
Lynn

Re: Rain tire advice needed

Post by Lynn »

I've never used them, but I have Hoosier rain tires in the same size as the slicks. Some use somewhat narrower tires. I have also seen Goodyear intermediate wets used to good effect on a course that doesn't puddle. I use Diamond Racing steel wheels. They are almost as light as my alloy wheels, but they are kind of fragile. The tire mounter must be careful to not bend the beads.
69 Beach Solo Vee, #65 FM

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee
snookwheel

Post by snookwheel »

Thanks Lynn. I use diamond wheels for my slicks. I also have a spare set I could use for my rains. What Hoosier tire model do you have for rains? Thanks.
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

Road Racing Wets-Bias Ply. 20 x 7.5 front, 20 x 9.0 rear. My slicks are 20 x 7.5 front and 20 x 9.5 rear.

I see you mentioned two cars on the trailer thread and saw you were looking at Mark York's A Mod ad on sccaforum.com again earlier today. For a wingless A Mod, that thing is damn quick.
69 Beach Solo Vee, #65 FM

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee
snookwheel

Post by snookwheel »

I'm still up in the air about adding another car to the stable.... but that Amod would be pretty fun! Thanks for the tire info.

Scott