1970 Lynx vee

DanRemmers

Re: 1970 Lynx vee

Post by DanRemmers »

It wouldn't work as an imbedded picture, so it's a link now. Let me know if it still doesn't work.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Rox3WhpNicE/S ... hifter.jpg
jaymzz

Post by jaymzz »

It works and thank you. One question though, what does the return spring do?
FM4SOLO

Post by FM4SOLO »

My thought is to pull the shifter to one side or the other, the drawing indicates toward the 3/4 side.
Charles
DanRemmers

Post by DanRemmers »

Yes, it pulls the shift lever towards the 3rd & 4th side. (The drawing is a bit crude)
jaymzz

Post by jaymzz »

This might be a stupid question, but why do you want it to pull to the 3rd and 4th side?
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

Because when you shift from second to third the spring pull the lever towards third. Obviously, accidently going to first is not a good thing. Same with shifting from third to forth. The spring makes it more difficult to accidently get second.
69 Beach Solo Vee, #65 FM

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee
jaymzz

Post by jaymzz »

Thanks for explaining it. Sounds like a very good idea.
vreihen

Post by vreihen »

jaymzz wrote:Thanks for explaining it. Sounds like a very good idea.
Now that you know about it, go out and check out your street car if it has a standard transmission. Most 5 and 6-speeds have springs on the shifter to pull it to the 3-4 gates, so a shift to 1-2 or 5-6 requires overcoming the spring force one way or the other. Besides the obvious protection from shifting into the wrong gear (on a 4-speed), it provides tactile feedback so that you know whether you're going into 1st, 3rd, or 5th depending on whether or not you feel the spring as you move the shifter left-to-right.....
jaymzz

Post by jaymzz »

An update. I have been doing everything I can to get it running better. The local VW shop said it sounds like one of the carbs needs cleaned. So I took the top of one off and it had a bunch of gunk in it so I rebuilt it. The screen that is inside the carb was also full of gunk. It runs a lot better, but not how I think it should run so I am going to rebuild the other carb this weekend. Hopefully that will do the trick. If it doesn't help I am seriously considering selling the duel carbs and going to a single. But I discovered another problem

I haven't been out in the garage all week. When I opened the door this is what I found. :x
[ external image ]

So I went and bought all new gaskets for the transmission.
[ external image ]

And a picture of the rebuilt carb. It is so nice and clean now.
[ external image ]
FM4SOLO

Post by FM4SOLO »

Cleanliness of the fuel and air into the carbs is very important. I have found that certain brands of pump gas will cause plugged low speed jets as well. I take the tops of the carbs off a few times every season and check the bowls, looking for trash, cleaning as necessary. I love webers, all jets accessable from the outside.

I repainted my exhaust the other evening. I tried something new this time, after the BBQ paint dried for a few hours, I heated the pipes with a propane torch to 300- 350 degrees (using my hand held pyrometer). The paint took on a light sheen, and now I'm unable to clean it off with lacquer thinner. Time will tell if this holds up better. Before, the pipes never got hot enough all the way to the collector to cure the paint. YMMV.
Charles
jaymzz

Post by jaymzz »

Thanks. I will try a different gas station next time I get gas and see if that helps. Also what octane should I be running?
DanRemmers

Post by DanRemmers »

jaymzz wrote:Also what octane should I be running?
That depends on your compression. My motor is prepped to the old 1600 rules (9:1 I think) and I use 93 octane pump gas. Some use leaded aviation fuel (100LL), some use commercial racing gas.
vreihen

Post by vreihen »

I like 100LL AvGas for anything without a catalytic converter. It allegedly does not varnish after sitting for long periods of time. My late father (who owned his own plane) used to run it in all of his lawn equipment, and everything always started on the first pull when it came out of the shed in the spring. My lawnmower and snowblower have been fed a steady diet of AvGas since 2006, and I have not had to dump a float bowl of watery fuel and crud (thanks to mandatory ethanol in local pump gas) since.....
jaymzz

Post by jaymzz »

Thanks. I have been putting 92 octane in it, and someone told me to run 89. That didn't sounds right to me though.
snookwheel

Post by snookwheel »

It looks like you have made a lot of progress! I had some low rpm issues with my Weber. (I have a single 40 on a 1600) I found that the low speed idle adjustment was pretty critical. Of course, cleaning out the gunk should help. A blast of carb cleaner during a moment of desperation during an autocross smoothed it out long enough to finish the event. A thorough cleaning when I got home followed. I run Sunoco 110 fuel. 9.1 compression.

Scott
jaymzz

Post by jaymzz »

I have some great news! So I dedicated my weekend to figuring out why it isn't running right. I started from scratch. First I adjusted the valves again. This time to .006 for all of them. I checked the spark plug gaps and they are .28. I static timed it. Then rebuilt the carbs and checked to make everything in the carbs matched each other. I then went and got some gas from a different gas station and fired it up. It ran worse than when I started. So I checked the spark on each plug and had spark. That means fuel related. So I took apart the entire fuel system and checked for blockage, and found nothing. I started it again and started pulling spark plug wires to see what hole was dead. Cylinders 1 and 2 were dead. So I tore the carb apart again to check over my work. When I took the top off the fuel bowl was empty. So when I started looking for the problem I found it. Somehow I accidentally put two seals on the float valve. I took one off and put the carb back together and started it up. Holy crap it sounds awesome with the new exhaust. I was finally able to tune the carbs! It no longer pops or anything. I took it out in the ally next door and had a very hard time keeping the tires from spinning. Now I know why the car came with two gallons of VHT. :)

So now it is time to reseal the transmission and start figuring out how I am going to get it to the races.
jaymzz

Post by jaymzz »

An update. My first autocross is next weekend and I am so excited! I went out last night and bled the brakes and topped off the fluids. I found out after re sealing the transmission and topping it off last night I have a warped axle side shaft plate or whatever it would be called. I went to the local vw shop and found out there is not many options for this, so I am going to take it back apart today and try to straighten it. Hopefully that will seal it up. Also building a trailer for it this weekend and throughout the week so I can get it to the races. I will let you all know how it goes. I also will try to get some video. :)
snookwheel

Post by snookwheel »

Good luck Jaymzz! You will have a blast. The biggest part of the learning curve for me has been to 'Trust the grip.' Post up your results.

I am running tomorrow at a local event. It's an Endurocross. Several laps per run. Should be approx. 2.5 minutes per run.

Scott
vreihen

Post by vreihen »

jaymzz wrote:Also building a trailer for it this weekend and throughout the week so I can get it to the races.
Have you seen the posting for the enclosed trailer in the Seattle area that just popped up this evening? If a Solo Vee with wider wheels/tires than an FV will fit inside, it might save you some fabricating work in building your own.....
jaymzz

Post by jaymzz »

I will post up my results. I am super excited to actually get to drive it after all the work I have done to it. I will only be able to run it in the morning class due to instructing the new people in the afternoon class, so I figure my first few autocrosses I will take it slow and easy just to learn how the car reacts. I am a little worried about spinning out a lot. I spent my new tires money on getting it to run good. I have never driven a car like the vee before and when I was doing to pre setup this morning for next weekends autocross I got down to about where my head will be and holy cow it is so much different that being in my Evo. In the Evo I sit up so much higher and can see a few gates ahead, and the vee I can't due to being eye level with the top of the cones. :shock:

Thanks or letting me know about the trailer. The slow economy has really hit my pocketbook and changed my plans on buying a truck. So I will be using the wife's Subaru WRX to tow the vee to the races until I can afford a truck. So I am building a cheap lightweight trailer to use until then, plus I enjoy building that kind of stuff. Being a bodyman by trade it is nice to build different stuff than I am used to to change the pace a little.
vreihen

Post by vreihen »

jaymzz wrote:In the Evo I sit up so much higher and can see a few gates ahead, and the vee I can't due to being eye level with the top of the cones. :shock:
The cones look like redwood trees from the driver's seat of a formula car...and are sometimes painful when you hit them! :lol:
So I will be using the wife's Subaru WRX to tow the vee to the races until I can afford a truck. So I am building a cheap lightweight trailer to use until then, plus I enjoy building that kind of stuff.
FWIW, Chris Bernard (past DM national champion) tows his Caterham 7 behind a WRX, in a custom-built enclosed trailer. For that matter, one former owner of my Vee allegedly towed it to events behind a Yugo. The trailer it came with was only intended to haul an ATV, and I frequently had to patch up frame breaks and deck problems. I was thinking about building a new super-light open trailer to tow behind my car, and collected pictures of a few unique Vee trailers with features that I wanted to use. I never got around to it, though. Let me know if you're interested in seeing them.....
FM4SOLO

Post by FM4SOLO »

I ran my Lynx B today, first time on 100LL Avgas, purchased at a local airport for $3.09 a gallon.. It ran very well, and it seems to run a little cooler, which is a good thing.

Here is some roughly edited footage from the first heat. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKr3A2qE2u4 I need to work on camera placement, but it gives a good feel for how busy it can get. The black helmet is my son, the white helmet is me. He beat me in the second heat. We took 1st and 2nd fastest raw times, running last years tires.

I hope your day went as well.

Charles
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

It looks like you're fighting a really nasty push, Charles. See you at the Divisional. I won't have the Vee, and may not have a ride, but I'll help if you need it.
69 Beach Solo Vee, #65 FM

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee
FM4SOLO

Post by FM4SOLO »

Lynn wrote:It looks like you're fighting a really nasty push, Charles. See you at the Divisional. I won't have the Vee, and may not have a ride, but I'll help if you need it.
Very little grip at that venue + hard tires = pushy loose. The worst turn was quite sharp, and that was where the big X was painted on the runway, NO grip. Yes, it was a bit of a hand full, pushed on turn entry, loose on throttle. Really fun, though.

Jaymzz, how was your first experience?
Charles
jaymzz

Post by jaymzz »

My first run at it will be this coming Sunday. Now that I have a trailer I am taking it down to work in the next couple of days to do an alignment. My biggest downfall will be the tires, they are a few years old and very skinny. Man those cones are coming up fast in the video.

And thanks for the offer to share what you found out about the trailers. All I have left to do on the trailer I built is make a deck and some kind of ramps.