Aluminum Case

MBillings

Aluminum Case

Post by MBillings »

I just discovered I have a case failure...metal in the bottom of the deep sump. I thought aluminum cases were legal as a replacement. The rules reads, "aftermarket magnesium engine cases may also be substituted". Does this mean aluminum cases are OK or the replacement case halves must be magnesium? I'm confused.

Mike
DanRemmers

Re: Aluminum Case

Post by DanRemmers »

I thought the stock cases are aluminum. I could be wrong.
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

Only the "stock" replacement magnesium alloy case is legal. The after market aluminum ones are not. Plus you wouldn't want one for an FV. They are stronger, but they are VERY VERY heavy. With under 60HP and 70lbs of torque it would be way overkill.
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

Just noticed this was a Solo post. My last post re: legality may be in error. You will have to check your rules.
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

You say you have a "case failure".. metal in the sump? Are you sure this is a case issue and not bearing material? Unless it is a BIG piece of metal from the case, I doubt you have a case problem.
Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

Unless you had an internal failure ( rod bolt let go,etc) I would tend to agree with Jim.It is very rare to have a case failure.

Also ( again agreeing with Jim) - you do not want an aluminum case- they cost more!

Dietmar
77fmod

Post by 77fmod »

Mike,
I agree that you do not want an aluminum one. They are about 8lbs. heavier if I recall correctly and there are some issues that can occur with the oil hole at the pump. I had one one and could not get oil pressure. It was finally discovered that the hole is deeper in the case at the pump and the pump did not fully cover it. It causes the pump to suck air and never develop the pressure needed.
The original cases are magnesium. I have no idea why the wording reads the way it does in the rules but I would go with an original case.
I also find it difficult to believe you had a case failure as mine have left holes where the stuff inside was trying to get out!

Johnny B.
MBillings

Post by MBillings »

Thanks to all for the input and advice. My mechanic told me aluminum cases are stronger and the same weight as magnesium cases. It is good to get better information.

As to the failure, yes I found a "chunk" of metal in the sump. After examining the case from the bottom we found it came off a valve lifter casting. I don't think anything was damaged, but we're pretty sure bad things are eventually going to happen.

I'll look for a new magnesium case.

thanks again,
Mike
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

We have them. <g>

Jim
turbospl311

Post by turbospl311 »

Mike, You know I just went through finding a case. Keep your eye on e-bay, check with SR racing or hit Mike at Bow Wow.

Don (been there, paid for that) Miller