Solo Vee alignment

redvett

Solo Vee alignment

Post by redvett »

Does anyone have any insight into what alignment settings work best, I have a 1980 Lynx B with a zero roll rear suspension. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
DanRemmers

Re: Solo Vee alignment

Post by DanRemmers »

There's not really a standard baseline alignment for solo vees. There are so many variables in the springs and shocks and leading/trailing arms that it's very car specific.

The following is my opinion, so others (probably faster than me) may have better advice.

There are some basic guidelines. Put as much negative camber in the front wheels as possible. This is done with shims. I believe your car has this already. I read on this forum a while ago about changing the mounting angle of the front beam. Search for that and read up on it, but I would worry about that last.

I've heard some drivers use toe-in, some use toe-out, just keep away from anything radical (1/8" max). Mine is close to zero, and my handling is fairly neutral.

The rear alignment is more adjustable. The previous 2 owners of your car used lots of negative camber, and I always thought it was too much. They almost always beat me, so they must have cheated in some way :lol:
I really don't know what camber is best, but remember that the zero roll will keep the camber mostly constant in the turns, and too much camber will cause spinning tires on accelleration, more throttle oversteer, and uneven tire wear. 1 or 2 degrees should be fine.
Rear toe will make the biggest difference. My car was oversteering at random times, then I found out there was some rear toe out. I made it zero, and now it's neutral.

Again, it's mosty car dependent, and will depend on your driving style. If you want to start from scratch, adjust everything to zero except the front camber. Otherwise, make small adjustments and test drive afterwards.
MBillings

Post by MBillings »

My Vee uses a Z-bar, but I don't think that makes a big difference on front camber. I used to set the front camber to "all I could get" but got some advice that said 1.5 degrees is correct. My pyrometer agreed and that's all I run now. I run 5 degrees of castor...which allows me to run less camber.

I also run approximately 1/8 inch toe out, in the front and 1/8 inch toe in, on the rear. Again, my car uses a Z-bar for rear camber control so my numbers may be different from those used on a car with zero roll. My rear camber is 1/2 a degree, negative.

Hope this helps,
Mike
turbospl311

Post by turbospl311 »

I run a Z-bar rear as well. I run a softer spring setup than MIke with 1 torsion bar in front and 100 lb springs in the rear. I run 1 to 1.5 deg neg camber depending on surface. On Asphalt I run the 1 deg setting as the tires grip a little less and get less roll. I Run 1/8" toe out. I Run 1 deg neg camber on the rear and 1/8" toe in with a 1/2" thick z-bar. I like a soft car with very slow rebound on the shocks.

I tried running no toe on the rear and the car just does not accelerate out of the corner as well as when I have the car toed in.

Just my .02.

Don Miller